Menu

MCP Math vs. Seton Math for 1st grade

I would not recommend either one.  Eons ago when our oldest was in K, I started homeschooling with Seton and MCP was what was included. There are far better math programs available. I also dislike Saxon for students who grasp math concepts quickly, so if you have a student who doesn't require a lot of repetition and tiny bite sized chunks, you might want to explore math options outside of Seton's offerings. (Math and science are definitely not Seton's strengths. So, while I have not personally used Seton's 1st grade math text, I would not use a math text published by them in general.)

My favorite elementary math program is Horizons, though there are many who do not believe it is rigorous enough. I have used Horizons with all of my kids. 7 of them through the 6th grade text (where I move on to different math for high school) and my rising 3rd grader will be using the 4th and 5th grade texts next yr. I have not seen any weaknesses in my kids math skills, and they have progressed on to higher math with a solid foundation and have not struggled with upper level math concepts. That should be the goal of an elementary math program---  building strong number sense with solid understanding of the basic math operations.Those skills are what are required for algebra up.

Other solid elementary math programs with different approaches are Math in Focus or Singapore Math, Right Start, and Math Mammoth. I am familiar with all 4 of those programs. They are more mastery based programs vs Horizon's spiral approach. 

Any of the 5 would offer a solid elementary math foundation. 

Another program that is frequently discussed on these forums as being solid is CLE. I have never used it or even seen it, so it is simply a recommendation based on others' affirmation of the program.

I have used MCP successfully for 17 years and have no plans to change.

Setons math program was created with the MCP format and scope/sequence, so the math concepts and most of the way they are presented is nearly identical.  It's more color and has some Catholic elements tossed in.

I will say the MCP teacher guides are cheap and worth every penny.  They are not just answer keys.  They have memory exercises, drills, review sets and ideas for how to address common problems.

I love MCP for the reasons many people don't.  It's a complete no muss, no fuss, open and go linear program.