Menu

DIY Club, Spiral Scouts or similar Scout alternatives - starting one?

poppy

My coop could use a service / adventure club that welcomes mixed aged, boys and girls. I’d love a recommendation. 

We willl be indoors so I’m not thinking 4-H.

My family does cub scouts and Girl Scouts - I like both programs - just looking for something else in this context. I have a built in audience, kids 6-12,  of kids looking for adventure and fun.

FYI there are tons of 4-H indoor projects. When I was in 4-H in the suburbs as a kid we did ceramics, woodworking, sewing, cooking, etc. 

Quest Club is the non religious, co-ed offshoot of American Heritage Girls I think?

There is also Baden Powell scouting, which is in the same vein as BoyScouts but co-ed, non religious, etc. https://www.bpsa-us.org

• Like 2

This is great, thank you!

i looked up Quest Club and it's actually an offshoot of Frontier Girls, which I've always liked.  All inclusive, cheap, tons of badge options, secular.
But it does seem to lack a community service element which is something so many kids would like.
I'll look at all these.
Thanks for the feedback.

On 5/31/2018 at 8:48 AM, poppy said:

This is great, thank you!

i looked up Quest Club and it's actually an offshoot of Frontier Girls, which I've always liked.  All inclusive, cheap, tons of badge options, secular.
But it does seem to lack a community service element which is something so many kids would like.
I'll look at all these.
Thanks for the feedback.

Frontier Girls gives awards for community service hours and I believe they can be awarded to Quest Club members too. 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2018 at 10:19 AM, Where's Toto? said:

We run an indoor 4-H STEM club.   4-H can really be anything you want it to be.

We were quietly asked to leave 2 different 4H groups because of my daughter's special needs. . I know it's all volunteer, and I'm not super sour about it. But it was so markedly different than our experience with others scouts and sports and clubs. It makes me think there is something about 4H that makes it less welcoming to square pegs than most kid groups.

11 minutes ago, poppy said:

We were quietly asked to leave 2 different 4H groups because of my daughter's special needs. . I know it's all volunteer, and I'm not super sour about it. But it was so markedly different than our experience with others scouts and sports and clubs. It makes me think there is something about 4H that makes it less welcoming to square pegs than most kid groups.

That's a shame.  We have a lot of square peg/quirky kids in our group, maybe because of the type of club.    4-H is very dependent on the leaders and, to an extent, the county/state you're in.