Menu

Non toxic dog flea and tick collar?

mommyoffive

There are many oral (edible) flea/tick preventatives. I give our dog Nexgard, which is spendy but works well and he tolerates it well (he once had a horrible reaction to a spot-on product). The only flea/tick collars I'd consider would be Seresto or Preventic, but I'd be very leery of using them if I had young children in the house who petted the dog a lot.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

There are many oral (edible) flea/tick preventatives. I give our dog Nexgard, which is spendy but works well and he tolerates it well (he once had a horrible reaction to a spot-on product). The only flea/tick collars I'd consider would be Seresto or Preventic, but I'd be very leery of using them if I had young children in the house who petted the dog a lot.

This is what I have.  

Do you have to have see a vet to get Nexgard?   What other oral flea and tick preventatives are there? 

11 hours ago, 6packofun said:

We're getting our dog a Seresto flea and tick collar.  It's pricey but lasts 8 months and if your dog gets wet a few times here and there (it says you can bathe once a month with it on!) it's no problem.

Is this non toxic? 

11 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

This is what I have.  

Do you have to have see a vet to get Nexgard?   What other oral flea and tick preventatives are there? 

Yes, you need a prescription from a vet for Nexgard and most other oral preventatives. If you have a relationship with a vet (like you're taking your dog in at least yearly for a check-up and/or vaccines) I don't think you'd need to pay for an office visit just to get flea/tick control. Just go in and tell them you need something, or ask for a prescription if you want to use an online supplier.

If you need both flea and tick prevention your other choices (as well as I remember off the top of my head) are Bravecto and Simparica.

If you just need flea protection there are several more choices (Comfortis, Trifexis, Sentinel, Capstar, Advantus, maybe others I'm forgetting). Some of those also work for heart worms and intestinal worms. Capstar and Advantus I beileve only work for 24 hours. They're made more for getting rid of flea infestations quickly than for long term control/prevention.

7 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Our pet store sells Advantage, Bravecto, Frontline and Advantx with no prescription. I wonder if laws differ by state?  

Many of the topical treatments have been available w/o a prescription for years (and I believe the ones you listed are topicals). Bravecto has both a topical product and an oral product. The oral version I'm pretty sure still requires a prescription.

• Like 1