Menu

remedial/review math curriculum for summer

ziggyplaid

I want to spend some time focusing on math this summer with my boys who are just finishing up 3rd and 6th grades.  I feel like they have areas they struggle in with math and I want to work on making sure their foundation is solid.  Can anyone recommend a remedial or review type math program or workbook that would cover the basics?  Ideally it would be something with a pretest to assess the areas they need the most work.  

We have tried several math curriculums (horizons, Saxon, Singapore, math u see) ..the spiral math curriculums seem to jump around too much and the boys are not retaining or able to practice concepts enough, but the mastery type curriculums we have tried didn’t have enough review built in and we had the same issue. 

This is a huge source of frustration for me.  I spend a lot of time and energy on math and yet I still feel like they are not retaining things like they should.  I am not sure what to do differently!  Thanks for any input! 

BJU sells their summer Vacation Stations books with math review for the whole summer. It sounds like BJU might be one to consider, since they have both mastery instruction and review components built in.

For games, you could also look at the free Card Games ebook from Ronit Bird, Family Math (probably available at your library), and the Math Thinking Mats kits, which are great value https://www.rainbowresource.com/proddtl?id=035436

I think I would make it fun and short. Maybe some video games to review math facts. I also like to keep a change jar and pull it out every so often and practice counting as well as make change. Come up with other games. I might do a quick math fact review every day of just ten facts. That sort of thing. For the 6th grader, I would likely add in some of the Keys to books...definitely the Keys to Fractions. The reason why is that a thorough understanding of fractions seems to make everything else in school easier.

• 1 month later...

In your case, I would absolutely use MM topical books.  Use the ones with or without instruction, whichever you think would be more appropriate to your situation.  That way you can use the books that only focus on the topics they are struggling with, in a mastery approach (since you said the spiral wasn't working well for them).  The MM review books would be good as well, but they are a bit "spiraley".