Menu

Spelling Rules

DS asked today for a list of spelling rules to memorize in the FLL style! :confused: We use spelling power and there are rules, but they aren't as succinct as the grammar rules in FLL are. I suppose I could rewrite them in an easy to memorize way, but I'd really like to FIND them somewhere. I did a search on the web (admitedly not an intensive search) that turned up nothing. Anyone have a list or a site to suggest?

The How to Teach Spelling teacher's manual and workbook 2 each have lists. They are called sound sheets... there are 3 of them. Here is an example:

a says /a/ as in apple.

a says /a/ as in baby at the end of an open syllable.

a says /a/ as in all and after some qu's and w's as in quality and water.

This goes on for all of the vowells, including y. There are 9 like this on sound sheet one.

ch says /ch/ as in chin.

ch says /ch/ as in chorus.

There are 19 like the above on sound sheet 2. Sound sheet 3 goes through vowel combinations (oa, igh) You get the idea. I think I got workbook 2 for only $4 on half.com.

• 3 weeks later...

After much reading, research and curriculum review, I didn't find anything I liked. Almost everything talks about the rules from a decoding (relatively simple) rather than an encoding (far more complex) stand point.

I'm kind of interested in All About Spelling but from the samples I couldn't tell if the rules really emphasized the encoding rather than decoding. I can't really afford it right now anyway....

I'm writing something myself based heavily on Phonics Pathways. For each section, I've written the rule in what I hope is an easy way to memorize and I'm having him copy some words, take some words from dictation and then some sentences from dictation. I've created some worksheets in StartWrite. I hope it works...

I have come up with a list (not finalized) from Phonics Pathways, Rod and Staff's Developing Better Reading, and Saxon Phonics. Right now they are just written on notebook paper, but I hope to type them up in a more formal form soon.

Developing Better Reading has the best lists by far. I would never have realized that for the /oi/ sound it is spelled "oi" in the middle of a word and "oy" at the end. Then there are rules for how to spell /j/ at the end of the word, k and c rules (when to use each at the beginning), and final /k/ rules.

I have a not so great speller whom I hope to help in this way.

Spalding lists 27 rules (I think...haven't checked recently, lol). They are simple things like English words not ending in i, u or v, i before e, c followed by e, i or y, final silent e, and so on. You might be able to find a copy of WRTR at the library.

I thought maybe you could write them yourself. How do you have them worded?

I try to rhyme when possible, but often just go for short and to the point. So far I have:

Spelling Rules and Definitions Memory List

Week 1 - Consonant and short vowel review

The vowels always are:

<a>, <e>, <i>, and <o>;

usually <u> and <y>

even <w> sometimes.

Short vowel sounds are usually spelled with a single vowel.

Consonants sound the same anywhere in the word, even next to other consonants.

Week 2 - /k/ sound

It’s <k> and not <c> with an i or an e.

The /k/ sound at the end of a short-vowel, single-syllable word is usually spelled ck.

Week 3 - s as /z/ and Consonant Blends

S says /z/ at the end of these

has, his, as, was, is

Consonants sound the same anywhere in the word, even next to other consonants.

Week 4 –Y suffix

The –y suffix requires two consonants so if there’s only one, double it up.

If you Google "Spelling rules", there are a number of lists to work from.

I couldn't find what I was looking for either, and wrote my own spelling program as well. It has the spelling rule as copywork, spelling lists using the rule and dictation sentences. Level 1 is complete and you can view it at Lulu.

Here is an example of a couple:

1. Q always needs a U. (U is not a vowel here)

18. A-Y usually says /A/ at the end of a base word (may, pay). When a word ends with A, it says ah (ma)

I found this list on the internet, which is lot like the SWR rules. The wording isn't exactly the same, but the rules are there.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/taylor/taylor79.html

HTH,

Joy