Menu

Can I complain some more about group projects?

I think I've exhausted Dh's capacity to listen to me bitch about this.

We had a presentation this week. We agreed to have the slides finished 2 days before, but there was some editing to do in those 2 days. The day of the presentation, one of the slackers in the group says to me, "I was on last night and no one was working on this." I looked at her and said, "That's because everyone else had already gotten it done." And TRULY, I have no idea what she was even accomplishing, because I had already gone back and fixed her slides. The whole thing was wrapped up before she even got on.

Now she's telling us that she's not sure she'll have her part of the write up done by our agreed upon Sunday deadline because it's Mother's Day. Our group of 5 has 3 moms in it. She is not one of them.

I am so. DONE.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I hate group projects as well, and I think they should only be used sparingly in high schools and colleges.  

In my opinion, group projects are a cop-out on the part of the teachers, so they don't have as many things to grade (although I guess I can't blame them for that.).  I also think that in high schools, especially, it's a way for kids who are not such great students to ride on the coattails of the better students.  

It's hogwash that students need to work on a group project to learn how to work with others.  I did very few group projects in college and grad school, and yet I had no problem working on group projects at my various places of employment.

Sorry you are having trouble.  There are always one or two students who don't pull their weight on a group project.

• Like 2

I have yet to do a full-blown group project, but I've had to listen to each of my kids complain about it from high school through college.  I also think they're a waste of time and a cop-out for teachers..  My plan is to complain if any teacher has them on RateMyProf. as well as the in-college teacher reviews that we do.

• Like 3

sorry it's been such a hassle. I've managed to avoid all but one, and i really lucked out with that group as it was three of us and the other two were really motivated students. I really don't like them, especially for college students. the one project I did, however, included a brief form to evaluate how well the other members did as far as contribution, carrying their share of the work load, etc, which I thought was brilliant. We also had to do separate write-ups. That's the only way I think they are remotely acceptable.

• Like 1