Menu

If she adores "The Reluctant Dragon"

Rockhopper

as an Audible read-aloud at bedtime, what else would she love?

She loves the Dragon Master series (as others have said, it's what turned the corner for her in reading chapter(ish) books for pleasure) but she's read them all.

I especially would like something she could listen to, so it could have more sophisticated language than Dragon Master books, but since it'll be a bedtime listen, it shouldn't be too intense or scary. ?

7 years old, btw.

ETA: She is quite the dragon lover, but I should add it doesn't *have* to be a dragon book. 

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon - Grace Lin (such lovely storytelling)

If you're not opposed to picture books, M.P. Robertson's "The Egg" (and sequels) were popular at our house.

Are you specifically looking for dragon books...or any good book? I ask because my oldest was obsessed with dragons at that age (and for several years) and there've been quite a few threads asking for "dragon book" recommendations. 

9 hours ago, Rockhopper said:

We've done My Father's Dragon as a read-aloud (me reading, I mean) but not as an audiobook. And we've never done the sequel. So those would be good to look for. 

We enjoyed the entire My Father's Dragon trilogy. Those are pretty quick reads (lower reading level). 

It doesn't have to be dragons. She does love dragons, but right now I'm looking more for well-read audio books that hit that right bedtime tone. So, I guess -- nice voice, lovely language, nothing that will keep her from falling asleep... That's about all my requirements. ?

I have an Echo dot beside her bed, and a lot of nights she listens to a guided sleep story/meditation ("Sleep Well for Kids/Sleep Well for Kids Under the Sea") but she has really been enjoying "The Reluctant Dragon." So I thought maybe we'd branch out into some other audio books.

Oh, except I can't figure an easy way to get library (Overdrive) audio books to play on the Dot, so I'm kinda stuck with Audible purchases (i.e. cheap!).

9 minutes ago, Rockhopper said:

It doesn't have to be dragons. She does love dragons, but right now I'm looking more for well-read audio books that hit that right bedtime tone. So, I guess -- nice voice, lovely language, nothing that will keep her from falling asleep... That's about all my requirements. ?

I have an Echo dot beside her bed, and a lot of nights she listens to a guided sleep story/meditation ("Sleep Well for Kids/Sleep Well for Kids Under the Sea") but she has really been enjoying "The Reluctant Dragon." So I thought maybe we'd branch out into some other audio books.

Oh, except I can't figure an easy way to get library (Overdrive) audio books to play on the Dot, so I'm kinda stuck with Audible purchases (i.e. cheap!).

We are big audiobook at bedtime people.  Audible has a lot of guided meditations that we liked at that age - since you mentioned some, I thought I’d throw out those ideas, too.  There’s a guided fairy meditation book that was beloved, and a mermaids and fairy dust title.  I can’t recall the specific titles, but if you search audible, I bet those would come up.

At 7, we may still have listened to the Magic Treehouse series.  So many options, her voice is fine for bedtime, not too exciting for sleep.  It’s not fine literature, but we read a lot during the day so that didn’t bother me.  There aren’t dragons in all the books, but there’s definitely enough of that type of theme to hold her interest.