please critique my 1st grade plans

mo2

Daily:

MUS Alpha

copywork for handwriting practice

continue Phonics Pathways and Bob Books

2x per week:

R.E.A.L. Science Life

SOTW (1 day for reading and 1 day for activities)

3x per week:

Growing With Grammar

1x per week:

Artistic Pursuits (continuing from this year)

Pearables Home Ec for Hsers (don't really need this but thought it looked fun)

critical thinking/logic activities such as Mindbenders, Lollipop Logic, or other

Well, tell me what you think. Too much? I think we'll just sort of touch on geography with some mini-units throughout the year. Am I missing anything else?

TIA

Thanks. I must have confused level 1 with meaning 1st grade.
It's easy to do. It is mentioned on the AVKO website (though I think they say 2nd grade... which is overly optimistic), but it's buried.

Well, tell me what you think.

I think it looks pretty good! :)

*I*, personally would not even worry about spelling or grammar...yet. Of course, that is only based on my own, limited experience with doing it when we started first grade. For my child...there was just no rhyme or reason for those, I'd rather focus on building fluency with reading. However, I have found that more and more veteran HS moms are saying that as well, so, I guess I've caught on to it early enough. ;)

The only other thing I would not do, with my own children is logic building stuff...again just based on my own experience with my children, the time is better spend in our family elsewhere, at this age.

I think it looks very doable. A couple of thoughts...

You might consider holding off on grammar for 1st grade and just concentrate on phonics and increasing your DC's reading level this year. I think grammar could easily wait until 2nd grade or even 3rd if necessary.

My DDs both love their critical thinking books. If your DC enjoys them then add them in, if not don't worry about them for now.

If you wanted to add in some music, my DDs love the Classical Kids tapes from the library. When I remember to check them out, they usually either ask to listen to them at lunch or just turn them on in the afternoon to listen to while their playing.

I think this looks really great. You have just the right balance with your maths and language arts being daily and your science and history enough to be fun and interesting.

Drawing, craft and painting freely are really important too. I, personally, don't believe you should teach art at this stage. Just encourage lots of opportunities to do it. Try to vary materials and attempt the new. For example you could learn sewing, simple knitting, glass painting, simple origami, papier mache, 'fimo'/'sculpey', beading. Klutz books are fantastic for learning new skills.

If you are planning on SoTW, then do get the activity guide as well. It will help with narrations and the books are a great way to get started on supplemental reading--doing them together, of course.

I too would schedule it three or more times a week. The idea at this age is to do small chunks. Nothing more than 1/2 an hour.

I don't agree with leaving grammar, though. My first (now second) grader loves FLL.

I think it looks great! I would nix the critical thinking because she will demonstrate she can think critically within MUS and within the history curriculum--narration bolsters critical thinking skills as she sequences events, goes for a main idea of the passage, and includes supporting details.

I have the Pearables Home Ec, too, and really never used it--but it does look neat! I actually learned a few things...hmmm, what does that say about me as a homekeeper? LOL

Also, don't worry about geography.She will be getting plenty of map work with SOTW, plenty of cultural geography as she studies the different people groups, and plenty of physical geography as she learns how climate and position impacted the ancient cultures featured in SOTW.

I would recommend maybe squeezing in an extra day for history, or doubling up on history and reading by reading aloud some of the history books listed in the AG. Some are just too good to miss!

And, just to cover music and art history, you could pick 9 composers and 9 artists, and just hang a different art work on the wall and listen to one selection each month. Small steps add up, and take us far places! lol

That looks pretty reasonable to me. Actually it looks a little similar to what my first grader and I are doing now for first grade!

I wouldn't drop Growing With Grammar, its very doable, my 1st grader has no problem with it and he's learned a lot from it.

We tried MUS as our first math curriculum, and my son absolutely hated it. It was very boring, and very much the same thing over and over before we moved on....and then even when we moved on it was STILL the same thing over and over again. I guess mastery approach just was not for us!

R.E.A.L. Science is great fun, my son is very scientific and we are really getting a lot out of it. Looking forward to next year when we will do the Earth and Space book. Its great curriculum, perfect for a first grader.

Have fun with it all!