Menu

Need Cheep Craft for Middle Ages (for large group)

So, I need a really inexpensive craft to do with middle schoolers related to anything from AD 400 - 1500 (basically, the middle ages).  It has to take less than 15 minutes and supplies should cost less than $1 per completed craft (the less the better, since I'm paying for supplies).     This is for my older son's school history fair (not homeschool). 

I have TONS of yarn so yarn would be free.   Thought about having kids weave a bookmark (I've done that for VBS).   We had 30 minutes though and kids still struggled to get it done (though our kids there were all younger...middle schoolers might complete it faster).  I thought I could have them start it and then write up instructions on how to finish it. 

I also throught about printing out base letters on card-stock that kids could "illuminate" since I do calligraphy (so outlines of letters that they would decorate).   I'd have examples of illuminated letters printed up, and I have several calligraphy books they could look at (couldn't do calligraphy in that time...it takes a fair amount just to get used to using a pen, plus I'd be scared of kids spilling ink on themselves and ruining their clothes, and ink is kinda expensive, etc.). 

I've also thought of doing prints with Styrofoam.  Of course they don't have styrofoam then, but they did start using carved prints during this time, and I could have wood block carvings to show them and they could choose to print one of those or make their own with Styrofoam.  

Other ideas welcome too.   I'm not sure what other crafts are being done so I need alternatives if someone else has choosen the ones I'm thinking of.

Thanks a bunch! 

Designing your coat of arms? Could you somehow use the cheap paper plates as the base by cutting a wave pattern on the top and then cut diagonally down by sides to get to a point at the end? (Supplies, paper plates, several pairs of scissors, templates of common symbols (or a poster with examples), crayons or markers. You could use a rectangular piece of paper and staple it to the back to form the holding piece.

Agreeing with previous poster - stained glass? (I'm having trouble seeing how to do this. I know Dover used to sell mini size coloring books with clear paper and stained glass windows on them that you used crayons or markers on.) - I guess you could do this with the clear sticky contact paper and pieces of tissue (like a sun catcher).

I did stained glass votive candles for a co-op.  Cheap votive candle holders & battery tea lights from Walmart.  They used tissue paper & glue to make their own design.  It was a hit with the kids & moms.

My kids loved making cardboard box castles.  The kids could bring their own boxes, so it would be essentially a free project.