Menu

Confused about which WTM products to use now

Janeway

I am using FLL and WWE with my 2nd grader, last year both were level 1 and this year 2. I do skip the dictation a lot in FLL because it feels like overkill with WWE unless it’s practicing a specific skill from the lesson, like commas in list. FLL has more of a focus on grammar. It’s also really quick to use and doesn’t take long, at least at these levels, as most of it is an oral script with the student answering questions of working on memorizing parts of speech. 

3 hours ago, ExcitedMama said:

I am using FLL and WWE with my 2nd grader, last year both were level 1 and this year 2. I do skip the dictation a lot in FLL because it feels like overkill with WWE unless it’s practicing a specific skill from the lesson, like commas in list. FLL has more of a focus on grammar. It’s also really quick to use and doesn’t take long, at least at these levels, as most of it is an oral script with the student answering questions of working on memorizing parts of speech. 

I can't remember where, but I heard/read SWB say that, since FLL 1 and 2 were written BEFORE WWE, there are a lot of writing exercises that are indeed unnecessary if also using WWE.

So, when using a FLL/WWE combo, only do the explicitly GRAMMAR lessons from FLL.

OP, do you have the old FLL that's a combo of level 1 and 2? Once you finish that, you'll move onto level 3, which has a teacher book AND a student workbook.

We're going through FLL 3 with my 3rd grader now, and he's doing well with it. I would suggest holding off on the 1st grader doing it though, as there is writing and diagramming sentences. The 1st grader could still listen in and go over the memorization if you'd like. But if it gets to be too much, I'd move forward with the 3rd grader only.

• Like 1

You'd keep using OPGTR if your child still needs reading instruction. If they do, you might delay WWE until that's done.

Then you can do WWE and FLL together (skipping writing in FLL if you like.) Level 1 for the grade 1 and level 3 for the grade 3.

And you can do SOTW for whichever era they're in, currently. 

OPGTR - learning to read

FLL - early grammar (~ grades 1-5)

WWE - early composition (same range as FLL)

SOTW - history

So for the first grader, if still learning to read:

OPGTR, SOTW

Third grader, and if your first grader is reading well (finished with OPGTR)

FLL (1 for first grader, 3 for third)

WWE (1 for first grader, do placement test for the third grader)

SOTW (any level - Ancient Times is the easiest, so easier for the first grader to follow, but still plenty for third grade)

• Like 1