Menu

Has anyone read the Outlander book?

TKs

I've just finished read Outlander by Diana Gabaldon and have requested the others from the library.

Are the other books as good as the first?

I can't wait to see what happens to Jamie. I wouldn't mind tending to his wounds. :D Of cause I want to know what happens to Claire as well, but she's not as dreamy as Jamie.

Being English, I have encountered a few Scots who have called me a Sassenach, but never in an endearing way.

Now I just have to wait as patiently as possible for the books to arrive at the library. :toetap05:

The Outlander books are *so* great! Gabaldon did meticulous research, you can tell that from the details. They're just great books, with great characters.

They've come up here several times recently. The second one, that you're about to read, will have you crying through darn near the whole thing. Very emotional. At least it was for me. The first one is the best, but the other ones are really really good too.

I hope you enjoy them.

BTW, did I tell you I like your avatar?

I LOVE Outlander; I can't even tell you how many times I've read that book. I've also reread the second book, but...that's it. I've read all the rest, but they got progressively less interesting for me, so I haven't reread. Part of it is Brianna. She makes me crazy. Love Roger, but Brianna is like nails on a chalkboard. Can't explain it.

But Outlander. Sigh. Why oh WHY has this not been made into a movie??

Have you ever visited the Lallybroch site? :001_smile:

ITA. I am very put off by books that romanticize adultery, and I was surprised by and disappointed in Outlander, which had come very highly recommended by several friends whose opinions I value. It's been a long time since I read it, so I can't comment on the details, which have long since slipped my mind, but I had no desire at all to pursue the sequels.

SBP

why people are so crazy about them.

I would say the first one was just "okay." I thought the whole thing was a bit cheesey and overwrought. I guess I thought I was going to be reading historical fiction, and this was basically a romance novel.

It was decent in terms of entertainment value, but it didn't seem worth the investment of time to keep reading the sequels, so I have no idea what happens to Jamie and Claire, lol. I did hear they were making a movie out of it, so now you can see a film version.

Edited by Danestress

I read the series several years ago. What fun! I didn't enjoy the last book as much. It was about a secondary character but I can't remember the details.

Hm... The six published books in the Outlander cycle are all about Jamie and Claire. Next year "An Echo in the Bone" is set to be released, but DG has said that it will *not* be the last in the series.

She does have a separate series about Lord John Grey though...