Menu

April 24 to find out about a scholarship??

katilac

The wait for some scholarship news and notifications of acceptances seem awfully late this year. (At least, for my daughter's friends who are currently seniors) She's been keeping notes of notifications so I can pull out the notebook next spring and remind myself not to panic - that this late notice is often normal! ha!

Good luck to your dd!

• Like 2

Sometimes it is good to hold out until close to May 1st because of unexpected surprises.  DD was really torn between two schools and she got an unexpected package in the mail like April 21st with a full ride offer to one of them.  We were so glad we hadn't committed to the other one yet, haha.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Attolia said:

Sometimes it is good to hold out until close to May 1st because of unexpected surprises.  DD was really torn between two schools and she got an unexpected package in the mail like April 21st with a full ride offer to one of them.  We were so glad we hadn't committed to the other one yet, haha.  

Right?! 

dd says she will not switch to this school even if they make an incredible offer, but I think she may feel differently if they do. The problem is that she would really need to visit & talk to them again if they did so, because she mentally crossed them off of her list and hasn't wanted to do another visit, more research, etc. They make it extremely difficult to double major even with a year of dual enrollment credits, which she doesn't like, but if she got a certain scholarship it would come with special opportunities that might outweigh that. She is ready to be done, which I totally get, so I am keeping my mouth shut and mentally preparing for a frantic final week in April if needed. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, katilac said:

Right?! 

dd says she will not switch to this school even if they make an incredible offer, but I think she may feel differently if they do. The problem is that she would really need to visit & talk to them again if they did so, because she mentally crossed them off of her list and hasn't wanted to do another visit, more research, etc. They make it extremely difficult to double major even with a year of dual enrollment credits, which she doesn't like, but if she got a certain scholarship it would come with special opportunities that might outweigh that. She is ready to be done, which I totally get, so I am keeping my mouth shut and mentally preparing for a frantic final week in April if needed. 

I think you've said somewhere else but I just can't seem to remember - what are her other options?  If she truly has other great options and she knows she doesn't want this school then maybe she can nix it?  DD was that way with Carolina (UNC Chapel Hill).  They just kept handing her more offers, incredible offers.  But she knew that she couldn't take them.  She knew that regardless of what they offered she had other offers she would be happier with, even if she had to take on a tiny loan to do so.  We know now that it was simply the Blue Devil in her blood screaming "no" haha.

16 minutes ago, Attolia said:

If she truly has other great options and she knows she doesn't want this school then maybe she can nix it?   

I will confess: at this point, it is mostly me being curious! dd says she is confident in her choice. 

Yesterday I asked if she wanted to talk to them about a new concentration in their interdisciplinary major if she couldn't double major, but she said no. She doesn't "need" more money to go there, although of course it would be nice, but I wanted to make sure she didn't pick the other school just to be done or because it was cheaper. She said she was annoyed at the way they handled the last scholarship, which she did get. They had a stated deadline of a Friday afternoon but didn't send answers until the Tuesday afternoon! And didn't let people know they were running late until they got phone calls. Now they're doing this one super late. She said she doesn't want to be in for four years of everything being late or last minute, lol. 

She's actually back to her original first choice, and I do know it's a great option - I'm just really good at second-guessing. And being curious. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, katilac said:

I will confess: at this point, it is mostly me being curious! dd says she is confident in her choice. 

Yesterday I asked if she wanted to talk to them about a new concentration in their interdisciplinary major if she couldn't double major, but she said no. She doesn't "need" more money to go there, although of course it would be nice, but I wanted to make sure she didn't pick the other school just to be done or because it was cheaper. She said she was annoyed at the way they handled the last scholarship, which she did get. They had a stated deadline of a Friday afternoon but didn't send answers until the Tuesday afternoon! And didn't let people know they were running late until they got phone calls. Now they're doing this one super late. She said she doesn't want to be in for four years of everything being late or last minute, lol. 

She's actually back to her original first choice, and I do know it's a great option - I'm just really good at second-guessing. And being curious. 

When it gets down to the wire, it can feel like they are being nit picky about their reasons for nixing a school, but I just had to breathe and realize that the list had to be narrowed down to one somehow :haha:.  DD originally loved Emory, they offered her a large merit scholarship that was calculated in her package in her portal but then we couldn't find out anything about it?  Was it automatically renewable for four years?  What were the requirements to keep it?  And we talked to so many people, who all just shrugged and said "we have no idea" and the person who was "sure to know" never returned our call or email.  DD decided to scratch it, narrowing her list from 3 to 2.  She decided, similarly to your dd, that maybe this wasn't the administration she wanted to be tied to for four years.  I guess it is a decent reason ;).