Menu

No Spend (April 1-7)

hjffkj

So, the month of April is going to be an incredibly expensive month for us but with likely payoff.  We're moving out of our house this week and getting the house ready to sell.  That means paint throughout, new floors mostly throughout, new light fixtures, and a few small repairs.  So it's a few thousand dollars type of project.  But the realtor says it'll increase the sale price by $40,000 approx.  So we can't afford not to do this work.

Other than that things should actually be normal as usual. Once the house sells spending will go down quite a bit though since we'll be slashing our spending in half by purchasing a house with my parents and pulling our resources.

Another month, another attempt to get back on track. Between Easter, everyone getting sick, and DS's birthday party, March was not a No Spend month.

So far:

4/1: Spent nothing

4/2: gas to get to work (w/in budget); bought some Silk to go in my coffee (paid cash, w/in budget).

4/3: this will be another spend nothing day. 

This month, I am focused on staying 100% in-budget and bringing down my credit card balance. All my balances are on 0% introductory interest, but I need to pay them off before that ends (by the end of the year, hopefully).  That means, first and foremost, staying in budget and not adding any new/unplanned charges! July is a "3 payday" month, which will be a big chance to pay down those balances--but we're also going on vacation so I need to set a reasonable budget for that and stick to it as well!

So... I know this has been going on for a while, but does anyone want to break it down for me?  

Is it for purely no-spend other than basic necessities or no-spend for anything not budgeted?

Curious.  Because lately we've been on a spend streak and I'd like to be on a no-spend streak (duh) but we have some planned spending coming up on some important things. ;)

28 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

So... I know this has been going on for a while, but does anyone want to break it down for me?  

Is it for purely no-spend other than basic necessities or no-spend for anything not budgeted?

Curious.  Because lately we've been on a spend streak and I'd like to be on a no-spend streak (duh) but we have some planned spending coming up on some important things. ;)

Whatever works for you is how most are doing it.   I don't include bills but have included grocery just to help me see where I am spending more.  

I need to do this. We've been bleeding money like crazy for the last several months--tenants had to be evicted from our rental house, and repairs to the rental house that took wwwaaaayyyyy longer than expected. I've also been putting off non-house expenses and at this point need to buy some things--shoes, for example. Underwear. (uh, hon, is that supposed to be a string bikini? or is your underwear just strings now? lol) Ugh. I'll take stock and see what I can do.

And, there goes the budget. Our freezer is dying. DH is looking for a replacement for ASAP so we don't lose all that food.

It's going to have to go on a CC. Ugh, ugh, ugh!

4/4-- $698 for a new upright freezer.

48 minutes ago, Ravin said:

And, there goes the budget. Our freezer is dying. DH is looking for a replacement for ASAP so we don't lose all that food.

It's going to have to go on a CC. Ugh, ugh, ugh!

4/4-- $698 for a new upright freezer.

Oh that sucks!

The freezer thing really has me thinking about how much better off we are now compared to 5 years ago. 5 years ago, that freezer full of food would have been a total loss, because we couldn't have afforded to replace the freezer, even on credit (we had no credit, or income other than student loans).

4/5--$1.07 for McDonald's coffee and pies (in budget) while on the road for work.; 

$10 for prescription for me (also in budget).

$11.25 for school lunches for DS (in budget)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ravin said:

The freezer thing really has me thinking about how much better off we are now compared to 5 years ago. 5 years ago, that freezer full of food would have been a total loss, because we couldn't have afforded to replace the freezer, even on credit (we had no credit, or income other than student loans).

4/5--$1.07 for McDonald's coffee and pies (in budget) while on the road for work.; 

$10 for prescription for me (also in budget).

$11.25 for school lunches for DS (in budget)

I absolutely know what you mean, it really does help seeing how far you've come.

• Like 1

well that isn't good

I stopped at the store after getting the kids from violin because I thought dh would forget to go.  He didn't and now we both went grocery shopping.   He got to go to aldi so he got better way better deals.  I paid a dollar more a gallon for milk.  I don't know how we are going to fit things now.  

49 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

well that isn't good

I stopped at the store after getting the kids from violin because I thought dh would forget to go.  He didn't and now we both went grocery shopping.   He got to go to aldi so he got better way better deals.  I paid a dollar more a gallon for milk.  I don't know how we are going to fit things now.  

Lol, please know that I'm not laughing at you but at the situation.  Maybe, you can skip a few weeks of shopping?

4/5 $1.69 for a whopper Jr, $2 for a bottle of water,  $2.49 for rice cakes,  and $.77 for a coke zero on the way home from work

4/6 $7 at In-nOut with DD,

4/6 $9 at Dairy Queen with DS,

all in budget (my weekly spending $$).