Menu

New dx of Reflux/Gastritis - questions and a little JAWM

Kassia

I had an upper endoscopy on Monday and the doctor diagnosed me with LA Grade A reflux esophagitis and gastritis.  I don't really have any reflux symptoms - if I do, they are extremely mild.  I had the endoscopy for other reasons.  I do notice that I tend to crave cold creamy foods such as yogurt, cheese, and ice cream so I wonder if I want those foods because they are soothing the reflux that I am not really aware of.  

I was prescribed Omeprazole 40 mg daily for 3 weeks and told to follow an antireflux regimen.

My problem is that I drink carbonated beverages constantly (which is what probably caused the damage :( ).

My questions are - can I still drink my carbonated beverages if I open them ahead of time and make them flat or mostly flat?  Can I cut back but still have a can or two of diet soda a day for the caffeine?  I really have no idea what to drink.  I hate plain water and can't drink a lot of it.  

The JAWM part is only to not pressure me to switch to water at this time.  I'm just not ready and need calorie-free alternatives. 

Any thoughts/experiences about the meds or anything else are also appreciated.  

Thanks!  

No clue on the what to drink other than water, but I can sympathize with not liking plain water. I found True Lime and True Lemon packets at my grocery store. I add one to a glass of water, and it tastes much better. I'd prefer to always have a fresh lemon or lime on hand to squeeze in there, but that just doesn't always happen, so these are my backup plan!  Here is the True Lime https://www.truelemon.com/product/true-lime/

Good luck!

ETA: I never thought about the fact these are citrus based and often citrus is a trigger. Oops. 

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 1

I have reflux that is usually well-controlled with a ppi. In my experience, I can have one of the ‘mini’ Diet Cokes per day and 1/2 a cup of coffee per day without any breakthrough reflux. Otherwise, I drink water with meals. Drinking a lot of water, however, does lead to reflux symptoms for me.

• Like 1

I also have reflux/gastritis and it's more quantity of food/drinks than the type, with some exceptions. No tomatoes, citrus, light roast coffee, or dinner for me. If I eat and drink just enough to not starve or dehydrate, it stays managed with medication.

Like right now I have that weird sinus-ear congestion, so I'll chase a sudafed with some Dr. Pepper. A small glass of that is fine. Full cup of ice water and I'm in bed with the heating pad for an hour or more.

• Like 1

Wow, that's interesting about volume being an issue but it makes sense.  I really don't notice the reflux much but I'm afraid the damage will get worse so I feel like I need to make some changes - mostly the carbonation since I suspect that's the biggest problem.  

I also have reflux/gastritis and it's more quantity of food/drinks than the type, with some exceptions. No tomatoes, citrus, light roast coffee, or dinner for me. If I eat and drink just enough to not starve or dehydrate, it stays managed with medication.

Like right now I have that weird sinus-ear congestion, so I'll chase a sudafed with some Dr. Pepper. A small glass of that is fine. Full cup of ice water and I'm in bed with the heating pad for an hour or more.

I agree, and my dr said this as well.....volume of food/drink makes a big difference.

I think it's more the acidity rather than the bubbles. 

I drink low acid coffee (and water).  I know, you said no water, but really it's hard to find a flavored beverage that isn't all about the acidity.  That's what makes it taste like something.

And I agree volume is a definite factor. 

I think it's more the acidity rather than the bubbles. 

I drink low acid coffee (and water).  I know, you said no water, but really it's hard to find a flavored beverage that isn't all about the acidity.  That's what makes it taste like something.

And I agree volume is a definite factor. 

Since I feel mostly fine I'm most concerned about damage.  Would volume contribute to damage?  I generally don't eat a lot at once anyway - I prefer eating small amounts frequently just because it's easier for me mentally.  

Really dumb question - what causes the acidity if something is carbonated?  Maybe I need to look that up.  I found that Walmart sells "drink enhancers" - would those be acidic?  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Drink-Enhancer-Grape-1-62-fl-oz/19802858?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=3c70b73f-d9d1-487a-33b3-d876606cc9cf&config_id=106&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=3c70b73f-d9d1-487a-33b3-d876606cc9cf&item_id=19802858&parent_anchor_item_id=19802860&parent_item_id=19802860&placement_id=irs-106-m2&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=fleEt9HzDDrmyMrIt4esk0#read-more  

This is all new to me.  I really had no idea there was a problem.  

Since I feel mostly fine I'm most concerned about damage. Would volume contribute to damage? I generally don't eat a lot at once anyway - I prefer eating small amounts frequently just because it's easier for me mentally.

Really dumb question - what causes the acidity if something is carbonated? Maybe I need to look that up. I found that Walmart sells "drink enhancers" - would those be acidic? https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Drink-Enhancer-Grape-1-62-fl-oz/19802858?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=3c70b73f-d9d1-487a-33b3-d876606cc9cf&config_id=106&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=3c70b73f-d9d1-487a-33b3-d876606cc9cf&item_id=19802858&parent_anchor_item_id=19802860&parent_item_id=19802860&placement_id=irs-106-m2&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=fleEt9HzDDrmyMrIt4esk0#read-more

This is all new to me. I really had no idea there was a problem.

For me, those water enhancers cause reflux because they have citric acid. Anything with that will cause reflux for me. A single Diet Coke doesn’t. In my case, my lower esophageal sphincter doesn’t work properly allowing stomach acid through causing reflux. Certain foods/drinks aggravate it and cause more acid production.....but, this can be different for different people. I get terrible heartburn pain with my reflux making it easier to figure out things that aggravate it.

Edited by HSmomof2

I was going to say to add the flavors to water, but it sounds like those can cause reflux, so nevermind.

If it turns out that your only option is water, then I'll tell you how I got myself being able to drink plain water after years of haaaating it.  I don't hate it anymore.  In fact, many times I enjoy drinking it.  Here's what helped me:

First, it has to be very, very cold, so there always has to be ice in it.  Our ice machine is broken now, so I'm having a bit of trouble with this one.  I make sure my cup of water lives in the fridge, so it's cold when I'm ready to drink from it.

Second, I hate the sensation of ice against my teeth, so I got a plastic cup with a straw to drink from.  They're at places like Dollar Stores or Walmart, all the way up to nicer stores.

Third: I pretty much never drink water without eating at the same time.  I can't stand plain water on its own, so you'll never see me walking around sipping from a bottle of water in the middle of the day.  But if I'm eating a meal, then I can drink plenty while I'm eating.

For reflux, I don't know if drinking water with meals is good or bad or what the correct amount to drink is.  And I know you said, "Don't try to get me to drink water," but if you realize over the course of this thread or in the next few weeks that you must, then keep it cold, use a straw, and drink with food.  (Unless cold makes the reflux worse...in that case, I still need the straw for some reason and I just can't drink it without eating something.  Even something small.)

If I was going to drink between meals, it would be milk. (Don't know if milk is bad for reflux or not.)

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

Since I feel mostly fine I'm most concerned about damage.  Would volume contribute to damage?  I generally don't eat a lot at once anyway - I prefer eating small amounts frequently just because it's easier for me mentally.  

Really dumb question - what causes the acidity if something is carbonated?  Maybe I need to look that up.  I found that Walmart sells "drink enhancers" - would those be acidic?  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Drink-Enhancer-Grape-1-62-fl-oz/19802858?action=product_interest&action_type=title&beacon_version=1.0.2&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&client_guid=3c70b73f-d9d1-487a-33b3-d876606cc9cf&config_id=106&customer_id_enc&findingMethod=p13n&guid=3c70b73f-d9d1-487a-33b3-d876606cc9cf&item_id=19802858&parent_anchor_item_id=19802860&parent_item_id=19802860&placement_id=irs-106-m2&reporter=recommendations&source=new_site&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=fleEt9HzDDrmyMrIt4esk0#read-more  

This is all new to me.  I really had no idea there was a problem.  

The acidity is not the carbonation.  It's the stuff like citric acid, malic acid, etc.  They are flavor enhancers found in geesh nearly every packaged food (much like how salt is used). You could test your theory of it being bubbles by drinking plain seltzer.  The drink enhancers definitely can be acidic, but you could lower the acidity that way too.  Just put less in.

In terms of damage.  This is kind of a weird thing.  I had an ulcer probably from too much Ibuprophen.  I also have GERD.  I have had periods of ragey ragey crazy bad reflux that went on for months.  And yet, I really don't have much damage (other than some signs that indeed I had an ulcer that has healed).  So I am not sure anyone can control the damage so much.  It happens or it doesn't happen.  So long as you aren't drinking crazy amounts of super harsh stuff like hard liquor and popping tons of pills, you aren't going to cause damage from drinking a daily soda.  If it's not causing you a lot of symptoms, then you might not need to cut back much at all.  It's very individual.  What one person finds that helps them doesn't help someone else.  The three things that helped me the most were losing weight, switching to a low acid coffee, and not eating too much too close to bedtime.  I don't drink a lot of soda, but when I do have some it doesn't cause me problems.  Neither do most foods.  Volume is a factor though. If I eat too much in one sitting that causes problems sometimes. 

I'm kinda in "remission" at the moment.  It's going so well I'm working on reducing the PPI.  But gee a few months ago I couldn't even sip water without problems.  I've had GERD since I was a kid so I go some periods where I can't seem to get it under control and some periods where it seems to be gone.  I don't know what to make of that. 

• Like 1

The acidity is not the carbonation.  It's the stuff like citric acid, malic acid, etc.  They are flavor enhancers found in geesh nearly every packaged food (much like how salt is used). You could test your theory of it being bubbles by drinking plain seltzer.  The drink enhancers definitely can be acidic, but you could lower the acidity that way too.  Just put less in.

In terms of damage.  This is kind of a weird thing.  I had an ulcer probably from too much Ibuprophen.  I also have GERD.  I have had periods of ragey ragey crazy bad reflux that went on for months.  And yet, I really don't have much damage (other than some signs that indeed I had an ulcer that has healed).  So I am not sure anyone can control the damage so much.  It happens or it doesn't happen.  So long as you aren't drinking crazy amounts of super harsh stuff like hard liquor and popping tons of pills, you aren't going to cause damage from drinking a daily soda.  If it's not causing you a lot of symptoms, then you might not need to cut back much at all.  It's very individual.  What one person finds that helps them doesn't help someone else.  The three things that helped me the most were losing weight, switching to a low acid coffee, and not eating too much too close to bedtime.  I don't drink a lot of soda, but when I do have some it doesn't cause me problems.  Neither do most foods.  Volume is a factor though. If I eat too much in one sitting that causes problems sometimes. 

I'm kinda in "remission" at the moment.  It's going so well I'm working on reducing the PPI.  But gee a few months ago I couldn't even sip water without problems.  I've had GERD since I was a kid so I go some periods where I can't seem to get it under control and some periods where it seems to be gone.  I don't know what to make of that. 

Thank you.  I drink a LOT of carbonated drinks - either soda or flavored carbonated water.  Like an embarrassing amount from morning until night.  I'm always thirsty and I tend to drink to avoid eating because I am always watching my weight.  The carbonation makes me feel fuller and keeps me from eating as much.

In my instructions, some of the things to avoid were carbonated beverages and caffeinated beverages. The other items on the list aren't things I consume or at least I don't consume much of so I wasn't concerned about them but the carbonated/caffeinated beverages really concerned me.  But I don't want to give them up because they are my guilty pleasure!  

Thank you.  I drink a LOT of carbonated drinks - either soda or flavored carbonated water.  Like an embarrassing amount from morning until night.  I'm always thirsty and I tend to drink to avoid eating because I am always watching my weight.  The carbonation makes me feel fuller and keeps me from eating as much.

In my instructions, some of the things to avoid were carbonated beverages and caffeinated beverages. The other items on the list aren't things I consume or at least I don't consume much of so I wasn't concerned about them but the carbonated/caffeinated beverages really concerned me.  But I don't want to give them up because they are my guilty pleasure!  

Ya know, my GI doc didn't recommend ANYTHING to me.  His take is that it is individual.  You keep trying stuff until you figure out what helps or does not help.  Some people have sworn up and down to me that drinking apple cider vinegar made their GERD go away.  THAT I have a hard time believing.  I tried it.  That stuff feels like battery acid and left me in crazy pain!  But who am I to argue with someone if it works for them?

The carbonation is not going to cause damage per se.  It just might be a typical thing that makes the problem worse.  And maybe the bubbly action shakes stuff up not in a good way for some people.  Not so much that it really causes more damage.  Anything that is making acid come up is the problem.  Not so much acidic foods (that don't come up). 

Another big one they say stuff like don't wear tight clothing.  Because you are squeezing stuff upwards is probably why.  And that bodes true for me.  I don't wear tight clothing because it makes it worse. 

Also, if you are having problems in bed (waking up coughing), get a wedge pillow.  That helps. 

Ya know, my GI doc didn't recommend ANYTHING to me.  His take is that it is individual.  You keep trying stuff until you figure out what helps or does not help.  Some people have sworn up and down to me that drinking apple cider vinegar made their GERD go away.  THAT I have a hard time believing.  I tried it.  That stuff feels like battery acid and left me in crazy pain!  But who am I to argue with someone if it works for them?

The carbonation is not going to cause damage per se.  It just might be a typical thing that makes the problem worse.  And maybe the bubbly action shakes stuff up not in a good way for some people.  Not so much that it really causes more damage.  Anything that is making acid come up is the problem.  Not so much acidic foods (that don't come up). 

My problem is that I don't know what caused the damage because I don't have symptoms.  I feel fine.  As I said earlier, I often crave something cool and creamy so I suspect that is a reaction to mild reflux that I don't notice I even have.  That's interesting that your GI doc didn't recommend anything to you.  I think mine just put me on a reflux protocol along with the meds.  

Another big one they say stuff like don't wear tight clothing.  Because you are squeezing stuff upwards is probably why.  And that bodes true for me.  I don't wear tight clothing because it makes it worse. 

Also, if you are having problems in bed (waking up coughing), get a wedge pillow.  That helps. 

I don't wear tight clothing (except for tights when I exercise) and have no issues at night.  The fact that damage was found is baffling to me.  

Thank you!  

• Like 1

My problem is that I don't know what caused the damage because I don't have symptoms.  I feel fine.  As I said earlier, I often crave something cool and creamy so I suspect that is a reaction to mild reflux that I don't notice I even have.  That's interesting that your GI doc didn't recommend anything to you.  I think mine just put me on a reflux protocol along with the meds.  

I don't wear tight clothing (except for tights when I exercise) and have no issues at night.  The fact that damage was found is baffling to me.  

Thank you!  

Yeah that is how it works.  It's odd stuff. 

I have no idea why I sometimes have it constantly and why sometimes it's like it's completely gone. 

The first time I went to a doctor for it, I thought I had something stuck in my throat.  I literally asked them to look in my throat to see if something was stuck there.  I had no heartburn.  No other sign.  Just that. 

Yeah that is how it works.  It's odd stuff. 

I have no idea why I sometimes have it constantly and why sometimes it's like it's completely gone. 

The first time I went to a doctor for it, I thought I had something stuck in my throat.  I literally asked them to look in my throat to see if something was stuck there.  I had no heartburn.  No other sign.  Just that. 

Wow, that's amazing.  And scary!