Menu

Kittie peeing on carpets

Garga

I have a kitty who has always randomly peed on any kind of cloth that's on the floor.

He started off peeing on the bathmat from time to time.  We stopped leaving one out all the time and now just toss a towel down to step onto.  If we forget and leave the towel on the ground, every now and then he'll pee on it.

I've discovered that he also pees on throw rugs that are around.  Like, we have a little rug when you first walk in to wipe off your feet--he pees on it.  

I also found him peeing on a more permanent rug in one of the rooms--a 10x12 size rug.  

I'm not sure why he's randomly peeing.  I had put down some puppy pee pads next to 2 of the boxes and he pees on those once in a while.  My hope was to divert him from peeing on the carpets.  Since it seems like it's a whim of his, I figured it might sort of be a stop gap in solving the problem.  And it seemed to work at first as he'd pee on them only once in a blue moon.  It would be weeks before he'd pee on it again.  But for the past 3 days, he's peed on the puppy pee pads 3 days in a row. And now I'm afraid that if I keep putting out the puppy pee pad, I'll be reinforcing that he should pee there and he'll never go in the box again.

He's been to the vet.  No physical problems and this peeing has been going on and off for years.  Last time, they even thought maybe his teeth were bothering him and we paid a couple hundred dollars for a teeth cleaning.  Once they got in there, though, his teeth were fine.  I'm glad they were fine, but didn't like seeing the money disappear.

There are 5 cats in the house and 6 litter boxes in 3 different locations and on two different floors.

He loves all his cat brothers.

The humans in the house never hassle him.  These cats are doted on and loved.  This particular cat doesn't like to be held and pet a lot, so we give him plenty of space and just let him do his thing.  We're not holding him when he hates to be held, but he does get affection every day.  He likes the affection.  He and my ds will rub faces together and he's happy and purrs. We all pet him a little bit every day. As soon as he's done with the affection, we make a point to leave him alone.

There are no disruptions in the house.  We almost never have guests.  The furniture stays in the same spot.  We do not yell at each other.  It's a quiet home with a strong daily routine.  

All the cats are fed wet food twice a day and the dry food is topped up 4 times a day.  

The boxes are cleaned once to twice a day and the litter is entirely replaced and the boxes wiped out every 2 weeks.

So:

Clean boxes

Plenty of boxes

Plenty of food

Quiet home

Love, but not too much love

Routine

The cat all get along together.  They play and sleep together.  They never, ever fight.

There are cat beds for them and cardboard boxes

There are cat towers at three different windows so they can see outside (he doesn't pee by windows, as sometimes cats do that to let outside animals know not to come in.)

He doesn't always pee outside of the box.  Just sometimes.

I do not yell at him when I find him peeing outside the box.  Sometimes he does it when we're not watching and sometimes he does it when we are.  A couple of times, I very gently lifted him up when he was done (didn't want him running scared around the house with pee coming out of him), and showed him his box and said, "We go in the box," but doing that made him panicky, so I didn't do it again.

The only other thing I saw was that sometimes cats who like to pee on rugs do so because they like soft things to pee on and clay litters aren't soft enough.  I'm researching the World's Best Cat litter because the thing I read about cats liking softer litter suggested a corn litter and the World's Best is a corn litter.  However, some people say it has no dust, but others say it's the dustiest stuff they've ever used.  Some people say it has no smell, and others say it has the worst ammonia smell of any litter they've ever used, so it's really annoying to try to figure out what new litter to get when the reviews are exact opposites of each other.  I don't want to get it wrong when I change the litter and have to keep trying new things, because cats get weird if you keep messing with the litter in their boxes.

Does anyone have some sort of idea on how to get him to stop peeing on carpets that I haven't already thought of?

Edited by Garga

Different size boxes, too.  We have small, medium and large boxes.  Two of them are covered, three of them are not.  There are a myriad of choices!

He's about 3 or 4 years old. All of the cats are fixed.

Edited by Garga

I think I'll buy some of this stuff to spray the boxes with.  Perhaps the plastic is retaining odors that Miles (my pee cat) doesn't like.  

https://www.amazon.com/Zero-Odor-Multi-Purpose-Household-Eliminator/dp/B001J0C3OQ/ref=sr_1_5?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1519958973&sr=1-5&keywords=zero+odor+multi-purpose+household+odor+eliminator&dpID=31vlRgqpGXL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Edited by Garga

I toss the little rugs he pees on and when he peed on the big rug, I used one of those enzyme cleaners to completely remove the smell.  

What's super frustrating is that his pee doesn't show up under a black light.  I got the kind specifically for cat urine (because some black lights aren't the right type for seeing cat pee) and I got the room dark and I pointed the light directly where I knew he'd peed...and nothing showed up.  There are a few cats like this, whose pee doesn't show up.  So, I can't see exactly where he's gone unless we catch him in the act or find a fresh wet spot.

But, the towels he peed on are gone as are the throw rugs by the front door.  

Have you tried cat attract litter? That seemed to help here.

Drugs. Buspar helped my cat tremendously. 

I have not tried either of those and didn't even know they existed.  Thank you!  These are the sorts of things I need to find out about, since this doesn't seem to be an easy solve like, "have an extra litter box" or "check for a UTI."  

My cat only uses the Chrystal litter. She won't use clumping after the first use it obviously smells bad to her. The crystals don't retain odour. She also poos next to the box after the first use but it's actually easier to clean up poop than pee so this doesn't bother me too much. She also randomly decides to use the kids bean bags which is a major pain.

I swear you’re takking about my cat...same age and everything! And every time I think the problem is solved - PEE! So I have no solution, but I am appreciating the suggestions!

FWIW, I had a cat suddenly start peeing out of the box and it was a thyroid thing. Once he had that fixed, everything was normal.

• Like 1

My cat only uses the Chrystal litter. She won't use clumping after the first use it obviously smells bad to her. The crystals don't retain odour. She also poos next to the box after the first use but it's actually easier to clean up poop than pee so this doesn't bother me too much. She also randomly decides to use the kids bean bags which is a major pain.

Oh yeah! We had a bean bag chair that he peed on. It’s been a couple of years. My oldest found the pee when he stepped on the bean bag with sock and ended up in a little puddle of cat pee. It sort of makes me snicker to remember it. We tossed the chair.

Oh yeah! We had a bean bag chair that he peed on. It’s been a couple of years. My oldest found the pee when he stepped on the bean bag with sock and ended up in a little puddle of cat pee. It sort of makes me snicker to remember it. We tossed the chair.

Someone made the bean bags for the kids. I did chuck the beans the first time but second time she did it I hauled the whole thing into the bath and washed forever then hung to dry.

I'd love to make her an outdoor cat but feel bad about all the wildlife hunting she would do.

• Like 1