Menu

Four Corners Monument-Worth the extra drive?

aggie96

Well, we have planned the second leg of our Quest to 50, this time going west aptly named Holes, Hoover, Hollywood, and Hogwarts.

Our plans for the Grand Canyon are changing after the helicopter crash there this past week. We saw the headline as I was logging on to book a helicopter tour. No amount of rational thought will convince my already-didn't-want-to-do-it husband to go ahead and book the tour. So we will be sticking to the ground options only. This leaves us a couple of options on places to visit.

The kids and I wanted to see the Four Corners just because for the novelty (kids have seem in in some of the Disney shows, too). DH is not interested. But then again, he doesn't seem to be interested in the Grand Canyon either because "it's just a hole." So I will just override him if Four Corners is worth it from an adventurer perspective. Plus we get in 4 states at once for our quest. :)

Important points to consider: DH is not good about admiring Mother Nature's beauty for longer than 30 minutes. It will be quite cold (to us) mid-March. We are not equipped or in best shape/experience for hiking up and down. I had originally planned about 4 hours to spend along the Desert Rim Drive with walking along the paved paths and 4 hours for helicopter tour (travel/tour/etc).

Option 1: Day 1--Four Corners (see on way from Albuquerque to Flagstaff, aware of extra mileage) , Day 2--Sunset Volcano, South Rim-Desert Rim Drive

Option 2: Day 1--Sunset Volcano, Day 2--more time South Rim-Desert Rim Drive-???, Lowell Observatory in Flagstaff (which DH said sounded boring, kids have never been to any)  basically this day would be less pressed for time but if travelers get "bored" with same scenery that would not be good

What say the traveling experts? Is Four Corners the way to go? I'm leaning this way. But reviews for the observatory are awesome too!

Thank you!

DH won't help think this through because this is the leg of the trip is his least interested in.  Grrrrrrr....  I'm going to give the kids a vote after school today, too.  :)

Edited by aggie96

The 4 corners are just that. Some people get a kick out of standing in two states with two feet and touching two other states with their hands. :) If your kids would be super excited to do this, it may be worth it.

I am curious what your dh would consider interesting. The Lowell Observatory was great IMHO. But I am interested a broad range of science even if I cannot understand all the particulars. 

There are also Jeep tours from Sedona into the mountains but you mentioned it will be cold weather so perhaps not the ideal time for that.

• Like 1

I would go with Option 2. The novelty is probably not worth the extra drive, given your DH’s feelings, though if you wanted some extra stops on the way, people here could probably help out, to break the monotony.

Glad you will be doing Sunset Volcano - it’s very cool. Don’t skip Wupatki/Wukoki, on the same drive.

Also on your route: Have you considered stopping at Acoma? We had friends there, but it’s cool even without the personal connection. A bit out of the way is Chaco, which is heartstoppingly cool, but a tough drive to reach. Lava tubes are fun, and I always loved Angel Peak. If you head up to four corners, there are other options. But your DH may not love all those. :)

• Like 1

Great information!  Four Corners is out. :) The 3 extra hours on the road in a 60h road trip plus grumbles to see the "spot" doesn't sound worth it.

Option 2 does give more time for Wupatki and the observatory which I think the kids will LOVE. I have no idea why DH has decided that sounds boring. He loves pointing out constellations all the time year round. Go figure. There is no way I'm getting him on a tour bus with other people. Stick in the mud. :)

Thank you for weighing in!  I just needed some external validation!

• Like 1

I definitely want to see it, too. So do the children. I was just trying to gauge if we should see it on this trip. I'm trying really hard to have "something of interest for everyone" on these trips. We have many other trips planned in the future. I will make sure that we see if when we are closer than we will be this time. I think it would be cool to be in four states at once!  :)  But, then, I am the person who would drive 4 hours to see a giant ball of yarn or something.

In my teens, I had a particularly memorable trip to Big Ben National Park where we threw a rock from the United States "all the way'" to Mexico. :)  And a bat flew into our suburban where we were sleeping!  It was so memorable that we are going to try to throw a rock to Mexico near El Paso on our way home this trip.  :lol:

• Like 1