Menu

Brag Alert: Son playing on NPR's PipeDreams

Janice in NJ

This is our younger son, a senior undergrad. Two pieces on this week's radio show. (Bolcom's What a Friend We Have in Jesus and Ferko's Mass for Dedication) They were both at the top of the second hour if you feel like checking them out.

http://pipedreams.publicradio.org/listings/2018/1805/

Michael Barone will be interviewing him on the show after he plays this July at the AGO National Convention. 

Happy Times to be sure! 

Hope you have a nice night!

Peace,

Janice in NJ

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

• Like 34

Thank you so much to everyone for the kind words. You all are the best! 

Every couple of years there are a batch of us with kids moving on to the next thing - four years ago it was trying to make the decision about where he should go as an undergrad. And now he is casting about trying to figure out where he should go to start his graduate work. I was a part of the day-to-day four years ago; it can be hectic - trying to juggle all of the current responsibilities with the added pressure and WORK (and money!) associated with applying to school. And then the waiting... and then the decision-making. Well, we are there again. Right now he is still in the work (and money-spending phase of traveling to audition) phase. Some auditions are done; others are not. 

So for this to happen at this particular point in time is GOLD. When I worked with my kids and other people's kids on the undergrad app process, I tried to frame this in terms of a positive thing rather than an anxious one. During this time, you have the pleasure of collecting/reflecting and then projecting. The collecting part is taking time to pause and think about the last few years. Usually that means starting with a resume. It's the easiest way to start to MOVE them away from this idea that they are somehow a set of numbers. They are not. They are more than a collection of numbers; their accomplishments can not be summed up with 4-5 numbers. What makes you you? How do you spend your time? What do you value? What are your passions and interests? What do you want other people to know about you? Teach them that life has landing pads where you pause, collect, and reflect. Then you project. What do you WANT to do next. In four or five years, if you engaged in the exact, same process, what might that look like? If you could choose what you would be thinking about? If you could make life happen the way you wanted it to, what would *that* be? All done with the understanding that we don't actually have the power to control everything (or sometimes anything) and of course with the complete humility that we are not actually even a sum of our accomplishments. We are people. Valuable, important human souls. Sometimes things work out and sometimes they don't. Our value stands apart from what we do. THAT is always a thing! But, just for the sake of having some kind of goal - as an exercise - what would you like to be thinking about and collecting/reflecting about in four years....

Anyway - I am happy to report that this kid is working hard and enjoying it. And for this to come at this exact moment? It's just really nice. So sometimes things work out. Who knows what is next? Who knows? But I am sending warm thoughts to all of you with children who are transitioning to the next thing. Because sometimes things are going well. And sometimes they are NOT. Transitions are like that. No matter what, my hope is that you can somehow enjoy the journey. 

All the Best!

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Edited by Janice in NJ
  • Like 8

Thanks so much for all the kind words. You guys are the BEST! While I used to be around daily, I pop in probably at least once every couple of weeks to see what everyone's kids are up to. 

I really do miss being in the thick of it all with all of you. You guys really made the difference for me. 

Hope everyone has a great day!

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey 

• Like 2