Menu

Thor movie Q for comic book movie fans

poppy

I haven't seen any comic book movies in a good 10+ years, would I like the new Thor movie?

I grew up reading X-Men. Like I wanted to be Kitty Pryde when I grew up.

I watched the first X-Men movie, and thought it was OK.

I watched the first Hulk movie, and thought it was OK (but there is a new hulk now).
I watched the first Spiderman, and thought it was  OK (but there is a new Spiderman now).

I watched the first Iron Man, and thought it was too frenetic. 

Since then there have been like 30 movies and I haven't bothered.

(OK I watched the first half hour of Deadpool...it was funny. But I'm not sure if he's Marvel? I'm old).

Anyway.  Would I like the  new Thor? Or is it a bunch of in-universe jokes and references?

It is at the $3 theater and I'm tempted. I don't mind spending the $3 but getting my MIL to watch the kids, that's a commitment.

(OK I watched the first half hour of Deadpool...it was funny. But I'm not sure if he's Marvel? I'm old).

Anyway.  Would I like the  new Thor? Or is it a bunch of in-universe jokes and references?

It is at the $3 theater and I'm tempted. I don't mind spending the $3 but getting my MIL to watch the kids, that's a commitment.

Deadpool is indeed Marvel. 

I haven't seen it the new Thor but dd has. She said it's one of the best of the current Marvel movies (and we've liked them all), and one of the reasons she liked it was the extra humor. If you liked the first part of Deadpool, you will very likely enjoy Thor. 

There will be some Marvel Universe references, but it's not big deal if you don't get them. 

I think if you haven't seen the first two Thor movies a lot of it won't make sense.  Some of the references to other Marvel movies will be a miss also, but there's not that many of those.

But I think you should see the first two Thor movies first.  

ETA: I'm thinking more about what you've posted, and if you thought Iron Man was "frenetic", I kind of think the Thor movies would be a decent choice from the Marvel universe for you, as they are the least so.   That being said, this new one was definitely what I would consider more frenetic in pacing than the first two, so it would not be where I would recommend starting.

Edited by Lady Marmalade
  • Like 1

Ah I thought it was just an Avengers spin off, I didn’t know there were other Thor movies! I will probably enjoy it but wait for streaming . Thanks.

No, there are 3 Thor movies.

First is just Thor.

Second is Thor: The Dark World

They got a lot of panning from Marvel fans for being completely different from other Marvel movies.  They are definitely more gently paced.  And sweet in their own way. Thor is my favorite Avenger.  :) 

I love the movies. I love the comic books. If you are one of those people who will compare the movie to the comic books you will not enjoy them.

I take the movies for what they are. A fin little romp and ignore where they veer away from the comics.

• Like 1

I am not normally a huge fan of the comic book movies - but Deadpool is one of my all time faves!

I was sitting in the room while my husband watched the new Thor, and I ended up putting my book away so I could keep watching the movie. It is SO funny, the writing is very well done and witty. I do agree that it'll be even better if you watch the other Thor movies at a minimum, and the other Avenger movies if you can. But even as a standalone, it's a good movie.

Also... Jason Momoa is Aquaman and he makes any movie worth watching IMO lol

That's Justice League, DC universe. I still see him as Ronon from Stargate Atlantis in everything.

You're right! Ha, that was another movie my husband was super pumped about and I was like "eh...not for me" until I looked up and said "OH! My boyfriend is in this one!" Then I tuned in a little more closely. Clearly not closely enough to pay attention to which movie it was.

Edited to add: after a quick google, it was the new Batman/Superman movie (as an aside: other than Momoa, i think the casting in this one was HORRIBLE)

Edited by Above The Rowan
  • Like 1

I saw it!!  

It was a bit like watching Star Trek if you only know it's a movie about space travel. I couldn't figure out who already knew each other, or  how powerful people were supposed to be , but, it was still basically  a good time!  Jeff Goldblum was good and I didn't know I'd get some Cate Blanchett. She's older than me, was kinda cool to see being so tough.

Funnily enough, I was describing the movie to my son, and he got references I didn't, because he's reading a book about Vikings.  I said it was about Asgard and he  said  "Did they show the rainbow bridge?"---  which explained to me why there was a disco bridge as a centerpiece of the final battle!! And "Hela is supposed to be Loki's daughter".  I should have brought him.  He's just 7, and I thought it would be too violent, but the violence was so cartoonishly over the top it didn't feel at all real.  

Here are my questions:

1.   Who was the attractive orange-eyed black guy?   Was that another superhero or was that an important Asgardian figure? They didn't introduce him, at all, so I think I was supposed to know who he was.

2. How did Loki get out in the end? His power is to make different version of himself, right, but he was the real, corporeal Loki in both the vault and the  ship.

Here are my questions:

1. Who was the attractive orange-eyed black guy? Was that another superhero or was that an important Asgardian figure? They didn't introduce him, at all, so I think I was supposed to know who he was.

2. How did Loki get out in the end? His power is to make different version of himself, right, but he was the real, corporeal Loki in both the vault and the ship.

1) Heimdall.

2) Probably used the Tessaract. That's one of those things where seeing the first Avengers movie would shed light on that particular plot point. And it's important leading into Infinity War.

Ha those answers are basically the experience of watching this movie for me.  Second sequel to a spinoff.  

Google says:

Heimdall = Idris Elba. 

Tessaract = "a crystalline cube-shaped containment vessel for the Space Stone, one of the six Infinity Stones that predate the universe and possesses unlimited energy."  So the glowy box .   OK, that works for me. 

Thanks for answering!

Ha those answers are basically the experience of watching this movie for me. Second sequel to a spinoff.

Google says:

Heimdall = Idris Elba.

Tessaract = "a crystalline cube-shaped containment vessel for the Space Stone, one of the six Infinity Stones that predate the universe and possesses unlimited energy." So the glowy box . OK, that works for me.

Thanks for answering!

Yes, Idris Elba. I saw Ragnarok the weekend it opened, and the theater erupted in cheering when he showed up. He was the gate-keeper into Asgard and controlled the bifrost (not Bigfoot, autocorrect). And yes, very attractive, lol.

If you look up and watch the trailer for Infinity War, Loki is shown holding the glowy blue box, the same one he stopped to look at in the vault.

Edited by BarbecueMom