Menu

Baking Experts---Need help!

LuvToRead

I make the NYT Smores pie and it is very popular at church.  It has a graham cracker base, a ganache filling, and a whipped gelatin and sugar topping that you brown with a blow torch.  The recipe is now behind a paywall, so I am not sure if I can share it.

Here is the problem:

The filling is

1 cup cream

7 oz milk chocolate

1 egg

Heat the cream, pour over chocolate, let melt, add egg. Pour into crust then bake.

I forgot the egg.  Because I am taking it to church tomorrow I don't want to cut into it.  What does the egg do?  Is it OK?  The filling doesn't set quite as thick as a truffle, but definitely not like a chocolate cream pie.  But I guess I am worried it will be like eating a truffle in a pie.  Is that a bad thing???  

Edited by LuvToRead

Normally I wouldn't care, but it is going to be auctioned off.  I think it will be fine, just denser than normal.  I am not concerned about it not setting, after all cream and chocolate can be chilled and rolled into truffles. How can you go wrong with cream and chocolate???  I guess I think it may be too set, maybe too rich. 

It's really simple.

Your favorite graham cracker crust recipe.  

Filling:

1 cup cream

7 oz milk chocolate

1 egg

Heat cream, pour into chocolate, let it a minute or 2, stir til melted.  Add egg and pour into graham cracker crust.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Let cool a bit before making topping.

Topping:

1/2 c water, divided

1/4 c corn syrup

3/4 c sugar

1 tsp gelatin

Put 1/4 c water and gelatin in bowl of stand mixer to soften gelatin.  

In saucepan, add remaining 1/4 c water, sugar, and corn syrup.  Cook until mixture reaches 260 degrees.

With mixture on low, and using the whisk attachment, slowly add sugar syrup.  When all the syrup is added, mix on high until about doubled in size.  Spread over filling, and put in fridge  When pie has chilled, brown the top with a blow torch.

I do add small amount of salt to filling and topping.

Honestly, this is not my favorite pie, but I make terrible pie crusts, so this is easy for me.  People seem to enjoy it.

• Like 1

I peeled back a bit of the topping, and stuck a toothpick in the filling. It is very fudge-like and tastes delicious. I think this egg is meant to keep the filling a bit more fluid, rather than like eating a piece of fudge. I am going to go with it!

Any report/update?

"This is a Pudding Type Pie from the Smores Era. In the late 20th century, many "dessert crossovers" were created, of which this pie is a good example. A s'more was traditionally a warm campfire treat but as you see here, this pie is cold. You can expect to see it fetch $15 to $25 at auction."

:D

• Like 2