Menu

Olympic ideas

Hobbes

I'm putting together a bit of a unit study for the Olympics, partly because I remember it being loads of fun when I was homeschooled and partly because it will be a great excuse to watch extra events together. ðŸ˜

Has anyone done Olympic related things that were particularly enjoyable/interesting? I've come across a lot of good ideas, but thought I'd check about favourites!

• Like 2

So far I have a bunch of good picture book Olympian bios from the library. Going to have each kid choose two countries to track (and make a notebook about, map, find anthem, flag, etc). Making bar graphs for a couple of sports and the medals to track standings. Reading an Eric Liddell bio in morning time. Watching a couple of Olympic movies. Of course, watching events. Marking countries on a map. A few other things like that. We just had an Olympic themed bday party here where we did events, or else I'd probably have planned a day like that too.

• Like 3

I just saw Bookshark's free South Korea unit study and thought of this thread. It's from Level 5 and might be helpful if you wanted to integrate some more geography-related activities into a unit study on the Olympics. (Or for those like me who just like free stuff in general, especially NEW free stuff, especially at this time of year when I'm dragging.)

• Like 2

I just saw Bookshark's free South Korea unit study and thought of this thread. It's from Level 5 and might be helpful if you wanted to integrate some more geography-related activities into a unit study on the Olympics. (Or for those like me who just like free stuff in general, especially NEW free stuff, especially at this time of year when I'm dragging.)

This is great! "Study South Korea" was on my brainstorming list. Thanks!

• Like 1

We are around the turn of the century in history, so we are planning to study the first modern Olympics and do some fun things for the ceremonies.  We'll use it to kick off a country geography study weekly through the end of the year, learning flags, interesting tidbits, culture and food.  We may do our own mock event at home too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We are around the turn of the century in history, so we are planning to study the first modern Olympics and do some fun things for the ceremonies.  We'll use it to kick off a country geography study weekly through the end of the year, learning flags, interesting tidbits, culture and food.  We may do our own mock event at home too.

That's a neat approach to it - convenient to be in that time period! I just bought the DVD series "The First Olympics - Athens 1896". Has high reviews - will see!

Hmmm. We have way too much snow and ice outside!

Some kind of ski-inspired slalom race, just on foot? Also an oval race where they have to be "aerodynamic" and keep their arms back like speed skating? "Curling" down the hallway with pot lids or plastic plates onto tape targets. Figure skating routines in socks on bare floors (can try lifts that way if there are big and little kids!).

I could have sworn I saw that BYL had a free Olympics unit... I suggested it to someone, but now I can't find it. Did I just imagine that?

I went upthread to find what I thought was the BYL unit - and realised it was Bookshark. I've definitely been thinking it was BYL this whole time. Even after I printed it out...

Edited by indigoellen@gmail.com
  • Like 1