Menu

What does "Clean" mean to you in the context of a used book?

cintinative

What does a condition of "clean" mean for a used book  

75 members have voted

1. 1. The condition of "clean" for a used book means

• no writing or marks
    • book is not dusty, dirty, or moldy, or odorous
    • both of the above choices
    • green beans

So I have inquired about a used book which was listed as "Good clean copy with no missing pages might be an ex library copy; may contain some notes and or highlighting."  I thought these two statements were contradictory. 

To mean, a "clean" copy means no writing or marks. Since the Amazon condition guidelines exclude the seller from selling anything physically dirty, there doesn't seem to be a need to note that it is physically clean. Am I crazy? The seller thinks I am crazy for asking this question. 

Hence, the poll. 

edited to address smoke smell

Edited by cintinative

I would assume that it’s in decent condition. Clean would mean no obvious writing or highlighting. The disclosure to me would mean that the book seller hasn’t examined every single page and some writing is possible but wasn’t noticed.

• Like 4

I don’t think you can assume anything about how a seller ranks a book on amazon. I bought a “used like new†book, which I would have assumed did not have writing in in and it was full of writing. It was in no way “like newâ€. Of course you can’t do much except give them a bad review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It might depend on the kind of book.  A used college textbook is expected to have marks in it but still be saleable.  A "clean" kid's book would normally not be expected to have writing in it except maybe a few words on the inside cover etc.  If it was a workbook for example, I'd expect no writing on the workbook pages.

• Like 1

I don’t think you can assume anything about how a seller ranks a book on amazon. I bought a “used like new†book, which I would have assumed did not have writing in in and it was full of writing. It was in no way “like newâ€. Of course you can’t do much except give them a bad review.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are condition guidelines on Amazon. If this happened to me, I would ask for a refund.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=1161242

• Used - Like New: Dust cover is intact, with no nicks or tears. Spine has no signs of creasing. Pages are clean and not marred by notes or folds of any kind. May contain remainder marks on outside edges, which should be noted in listing comments.