Menu

Returns to Amazon for purchase I didn't make

cjzimmer1

My daughter received a jellyfish lamp from my sister for her birthday.  However, the thing doesn't work at all.  I know it came from Amazon since the insert talked about contacting Amazon for problems and I found the same obscure brand name on their site.  Is there a way for me to return it and just get some kind of credit or do I have to return it through my sister's account since she purchased it?  I rather not involve my sister in the return if possible I"m just not sure if that's an option.

It looks like Amazon has a process for this:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201826610 (hoping that link works.  Found it under Help topics -- Returns -- Return a gift)  It will be easier if you have a packing slip from the order, but you don't have to have it.  Good luck!

Edited by Denise in IN
  • Like 1

My MIL bought my DD a tablet one year.   DD was too young for a tablet at the time.  MIL refuses to ask about things like this ahead of time and has gotten very offended when we've tried to give her suggestions of gifts my DD would actually like.   It's a touchy subject and at holidays now we just say "thank you" and give stuff to Goodwill.  However, we thought we could easily return the tablet, get a credit and get DD something she actually wanted.   Amazon assured us that MIL would never find out.

Somehow they emailed MIL, and it was all very awkward.

Just a heads up, in case you don't want your sister to find out about the return.

• Like 1

It looks like Amazon has a process for this:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201826610. (hoping that link works.  Found it under Help topics -- Returns -- Return a gift.  It will be easier if you have a packing slip from the order, but you don't have to have it.  Good luck!

Thank you so much!  

My MIL bought my DD a tablet one year.   DD was too young for a tablet at the time.  MIL refuses to ask about things like this ahead of time and has gotten very offended when we've tried to give her suggestions of gifts my DD would actually like.   It's a touchy subject and at holidays now we just say "thank you" and give stuff to Goodwill.  However, we thought we could easily return the tablet, get a credit and get DD something she actually wanted.   Amazon assured us that MIL would never find out.

Just a heads up, in case you don't want your sister to find out about the return.

I was wondering about that.  It's not the end of the world if she knows.  She is just super busy and travels out of the country for work a lot so asking her to do a return and then trying to get the money so DD can buy something else just isn't going to happen.  I just feel bad she took the effort to order DD something  that she specifically asked for and it's not working out.

there should be something on the amazon insert that came with it in the box.  (sort of like a gift receipt)  without that, you'd need to talk to your sister.

she wouldn't have to do the return.  - she would click on the item, say she wants a return, then would immediately be sent a shipping label/insert link to print.  they are set up to easily forward those to another person - in this case you.   that part takes about five minutes.  then you print it, put it in a box, etc.

My MIL bought my DD a tablet one year. DD was too young for a tablet at the time. MIL refuses to ask about things like this ahead of time and has gotten very offended when we've tried to give her suggestions of gifts my DD would actually like. It's a touchy subject and at holidays now we just say "thank you" and give stuff to Goodwill. However, we thought we could easily return the tablet, get a credit and get DD something she actually wanted. Amazon assured us that MIL would never find out.

oops