Menu

S/O : why don't Protestants like the term Protestant?

poppy

It would be like calling Messianic Jews part of the Reform movement in Judaism, I think (only maybe somewhat less drastic, depending on your perspective).

Yeah.  I think most Messianic Jews come out of evangelical Christian groups, so that would be especially weird.  

Mormons in particular have a whole separate set of revealed texts, so in the sense could be likened to the difference between Christianity and Islam or Judaism.

Messianic Jewish congregations might come largely out of evangelical Christian groups, and certainly they appeal to them, but the Jews themselves (that is, people born Jewish who become Messianic Jews in one way or another) are Jews to start with.

Yes, I've only met one person with that kind of background though.  I guess it might be more common elsewhere?  That would make sense as our Jewish population is pretty small here.  Most Jewish people I know who have become Christians have gone to other Christian denominations - Catholics, Baptists, etc.

Without a doubt, LDS self-identify as Christian --the name Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reveals a clue. They do not consider themselves to have a shared heritage with the historical church, believing true authority died with Peter, then was restored to Joseph Smith. And to answer the pp's question, they consider themselves to be monotheistic, despite believing in three separate beings of God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost. The oneness comes in *one in purpose*, rather than one in being.

Viewed from outside, the classification of Mormonism comes down to defining terms, as it always does. If your definition of Christian includes belief in God according to historical understanding of His nature, then an argument can be made that Mormons are not Christian. But they believe in Jesus Christ and His saving work (accomplished in the garden of Gethsemane, not on the cross, creating yet another major distinction from historical Christian belief), so what does one do with that?

Lawana, the exmo (exmormon)

• Like 2

Scarlett, do JWs self-identify as "Protestant," or (like EO and Catholic and LDS and I've learned on this thread Church of Christ) as a different.... (searching for the right word, please forgive me if I don't get it right)... strand of Christianity?

Not Protestant, Christian. Really that is the only thing I can say that we identify as.

• Like 1