Menu

Do you know how to serve a subpeona w/o an attorney?

Alicia64

Long story, short: the stopped yellow school bus's camera "caught" me zipping by it. The next week I received a ticket for $300.

I remember the moment when I saw the arm come out of the bus, and thought, "Oh, no, I can't stop in time."

I was on the opposite side -- not in back of the bus. I would have had to slam on my brakes and my kid was sitting next to me, plus there were drivers behind me.

We were on a busy, well-traveled road. We weren't in a neighborhood and the kids wouldn't cross such a busy road.

I saw the footage online, but that footage isn't considered "evidence."

Okay.

So I call the company -- who makes 50 percent of the ticket -- and request the evidence. They told me to call my local court.

I called the county court system and they told me to call the company (that I'd just called).

So I called the company back and they told me that I would have to subpoena them for the footage.

At that point I Googled the situation and found that newspaper reporters have been writing articles about this "good idea" that has turned into a scam.  Remember the red light cameras?

Anyway, any advice on how to do a subpoena would be great.

TIA,

Alley                p.s. I haven't had a ticket of any kind since the '80s. I'm a super responsible driver.

In most states you go to small claims court or the courthouse and file for one (with a fee), then you go to the sheriff's office and have them serve it (for a fee).

I bet it will be cheaper to ignore the ticket and just dispute it when it shows up on your credit report, but google what the law is in your state before you decide.

In most states you go to small claims court or the courthouse and file for one (with a fee), then you go to the sheriff's office and have them serve it (for a fee)

I bet it will be cheaper to ignore the ticket and just dispute it when it shows up on your credit report, but google what the law is in your state before you decide.

In our state ignoring a ticket would be an extremely bad idea as you would end up with a warrant out for your arrest. I imagine the same would be true elsewhere. My husband is a cop and has had to trade people to jail for failure to pay a seat belt ticket (which he hates and tries to avoid).

Eta: Katy, I know you advised her to look up her state's laws, so this isn't meant add a slight on you, just additional info.

Edited by xahm
  • Like 3

The thing is, red lights indicate a stop. They come on before the arm goes out and in many cases, there are flashing amber lights that even precede the red. Drivers are given plenty of time to heed the warnings.

Here is a link to an article with a chart at the end for each state/laws.

https://www.workwave.com/blog/categories/fleet-management/238-flashing-red-lights-on-school-buses-mean-stop

Edited by Miss Peregrine
  • Like 3

In our state ignoring a ticket would be an extremely bad idea as you would end up with a warrant out for your arrest. I imagine the same would be true elsewhere. My husband is a cop and has had to trade people to jail for failure to pay a seat belt ticket (which he hates and tries to avoid).

Eta: Katy, I know you advised her to look up her state's laws, so this isn't meant add a slight on you, just additional info.

Yeah, but the difference is with automated cameras you can't confront your accuser.  With your husband, you can go before a judge and explain why the ticket isn't legal and should be dismissed.  So tickets issued by officers cannot be ignored, but until the constitution makes cameras and the companies that own them legal accusers, they aren't treated the same way.  Most just go on a credit report, at least in the states I've spent any time in.  However, it might be interpreted differently in different states, so that's why I said to check.

ABSOLUTELY do not ignore any legal document issued by a real person, especially an officer of the law or government entity.

• Like 1

Yeah, but the difference is with automated cameras you can't confront your accuser.  With your husband, you can go before a judge and explain why the ticket isn't legal and should be dismissed.  So tickets issued by officers cannot be ignored, but until the constitution makes cameras and the companies that own them legal accusers, they aren't treated the same way.  Most just go on a credit report, at least in the states I've spent any time in.  However, it might be interpreted differently in different states, so that's why I said to check.

ABSOLUTELY do not ignore any legal document issued by a real person, especially an officer of the law or government entity.

In our state, all videos from red light cameras etc. are reviewed by an actual police officer before being sent to you.  You have to follow what is written on the ticket.  On our tickets there is an option to request a magistrate hearing. 

• Like 1