Menu

Since we're venting ...

JIN MOUSA

... I'll add mine to the pile.

I've got my second cold in 5 weeks, and I feel terrible. 

I was looking forward to getting back to our regular school routine and getting some projects taken care of. School's actually gone well the last two days (no return from break anarchy - yay!), but I'm having a hard time reading out loud, and other projects are just not happening.

DH is getting ready to go out of town, kicking off a busy season of travel for us; he'll be gone for almost half of January. 

I just want to go back to normal life. Woe is me. (I may also be feeling a bit dramatic.) :leaving:

Ooh, can I vent here too??  Over winter break, my DD had a car accident and totaled her car. She got engaged to BF, and I mentioned all the crap I've been taking over it.  AND my two kitties who have lived in harmony for 6 years started trying to kill each other.  We did ALL THE THINGS.  It has only been escalating.  On New Years Eve one went full KILL mode and attacked me because I was carrying the other kitty (we had been keeping them separated unless monitored).  My leg, through my jeans, was mangled bad enough to make DH get wide eyed.  Then the other kitty ripped open the palm of my hand. 

*sigh*  We are likely going to have to rehome one of them.  DD is major angry I am even considering it, although I am sad myself! Stop yelling at me what a cruel pet owner I am!

Ooh, can I vent here too??  Over winter break, my DD had a car accident and totaled her car. She got engaged to BF, and I mentioned all the crap I've been taking over it.  AND my two kitties who have lived in harmony for 6 years started trying to kill each other.  We did ALL THE THINGS.  It has only been escalating.  On New Years Eve one went full KILL mode and attacked me because I was carrying the other kitty (we had been keeping them separated unless monitored).  My leg, through my jeans, was mangled bad enough to make DH get wide eyed.  Then the other kitty ripped open the palm of my hand. 

*sigh*  We are likely going to have to rehome one of them.  DD is major angry I am even considering it, although I am sad myself! Stop yelling at me what a cruel pet owner I am!

Yes - pile on!

So sorry to hear about the kitties and all of the DD drama

• Like 1

Ooh, can I vent here too?? Over winter break, my DD had a car accident and totaled her car. She got engaged to BF, and I mentioned all the crap I've been taking over it. AND my two kitties who have lived in harmony for 6 years started trying to kill each other. We did ALL THE THINGS. It has only been escalating. On New Years Eve one went full KILL mode and attacked me because I was carrying the other kitty (we had been keeping them separated unless monitored). My leg, through my jeans, was mangled bad enough to make DH get wide eyed. Then the other kitty ripped open the palm of my hand.

*sigh* We are likely going to have to rehome one of them. DD is major angry I am even considering it, although I am sad myself! Stop yelling at me what a cruel pet owner I am!

Any chance the vet did blood work on both in the past month to rule out any brand new medical issues?

Let me just say that I find you to be a response pet owner who cares so much for her cats wellbeing for even considering re-homing. Hugs.

• Like 1

... I'll add mine to the pile.

I've got my second cold in 5 weeks, and I feel terrible. 

I was looking forward to getting back to our regular school routine and getting some projects taken care of. School's actually gone well the last two days (no return from break anarchy - yay!), but I'm having a hard time reading out loud, and other projects are just not happening.

DH is getting ready to go out of town, kicking off a busy season of travel for us; he'll be gone for almost half of January. 

I just want to go back to normal life. Woe is me. (I may also be feeling a bit dramatic.) :leaving:

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

• Like 1

Hugs.

Please take the cat issue very seriously.  I've had cats all my life.  Sometimes things just go wrong.  I do agree on checking with the vet if you haven't already.  One might be sick or injured and treating the other one badly because of it so they are reacting badly in return.

FWIW, we have had issues with friendly cats turning against each other before but one set in particular made me painfully aware of how dangerous this can be.  We had two cats that had always been loving to each other then their relationship deteriorated and we were unable to find the cause.  One day the one cat attacked the other cat so badly she went into shock and nearly died.  It took weeks for her to do anything but just lie in our arms or lie on a bed.  She hardly ate, drank, anything.  The vet didn't know if she would recover because even after her injuries healed she was so withdrawn it was scary.  Like something inside her had broken.  Slowly she started responding again and seemed better but was nervous all the time (unlike before).  She was under so much emotional stress after that that one day she viscously attacked DH.  His leg still has scars. He had been leaning over so his face had been near her.  Thankfully he realized the danger and started backing off.   If it had been his face she could have blinded him.  We had to permanently separate the two cats.  They never see each other anymore.  One is now strictly an indoor cat and the other is strictly an outdoor cat.  They are much happier and do fine this way but we had that option.  Not everyone does.

Rehoming may be necessary.  It is a kindness if you cannot determine the cause of the change and find a way to address it.   :grouphug:

Edited by OneStepAtATime

Day 3 of my chem peel.  AHHHH! I've done a dozen of these over the past couple of years and I knew it was coming but AHHHHH! Today is cracking, peeling, itching, stinging, day.  I'm hiding in the laundry room because my husband's employee who carpooled with him for the first time ever is hanging out in my living room looking through the books we're getting rid of.  Of course he has no idea I look like my face is melting and am hiding, but does he have to stay so long?  AHHHHH! Why today?

Hugs.

Please take the cat issue very seriously.  I've had cats all my life.  Sometimes things just go wrong.  I do agree on checking with the vet if you haven't already.  One might be sick or injured and treating the other one badly because of it so they are reacting badly in return.

FWIW, we have had issues with friendly cats turning against each other before but one set in particular made me painfully aware of how dangerous this can be.  We had two cats that had always been loving to each other then their relationship deteriorated and we were unable to find the cause.  One day the one cat attacked the other cat so badly she went into shock and nearly died.  It took weeks for her to do anything but just lie in our arms or lie on a bed.  She hardly ate, drank, anything.  The vet didn't know if she would recover because even after her injuries healed she was so withdrawn it was scary.  Like something inside her had broken.  Slowly she started responding again and seemed better but was nervous all the time (unlike before).  She was under so much emotional stress after that that one day she viscously attacked DH.  His leg still has scars. He had been leaning over so his face had been near her.  Thankfully he realized the danger and started backing off.   If it had been his face she could have blinded him.  We had to permanently separate the two cats.  They never see each other anymore.  One is now strictly an indoor cat and the other is strictly an outdoor cat.  They are much happier and do fine this way but we had that option.  Not everyone does.

Rehoming may be necessary.  It is a kindness if you cannot determine the cause of the change and find a way to address it.   :grouphug:

Oh my goodness how scary... this is exactly what I'm afraid of.

We have had a vet visit, kitty tranquilizers from the vet, cat pheromones (2 kinds of feliway).  We kept them separated.  Feeding on both sides of the door.  Rotated spaces so the smell was still there. Closely monitored when let out together.  Whenever together we kept them distracted and then separated again at the slightest sign of tension. Hmm, am I missing anything?

The bullied kitty will flee the situation, but the aggressive kitty will not let her flee, follows and wants to continue attacking. So that kind of serious aggression.  Culminating in her attacking me to get to the other kitty.  And that day the whole hallway smelled with "angry cat smell".... I've read its anal glands??  Lovely.

Now they are permanently separated (still rotating spaces) but no more trying to reintroduce. But we're terrified of a door being left open or something.  And the one isolated howls and scratches at the door the whole time.  Not sustainable. 

Oh my goodness how scary... this is exactly what I'm afraid of.

We have had a vet visit, kitty tranquilizers from the vet, cat pheromones (2 kinds of feliway).  We kept them separated.  Feeding on both sides of the door.  Rotated spaces so the smell was still there. Closely monitored when let out together.  Whenever together we kept them distracted and then separated again at the slightest sign of tension. Hmm, am I missing anything?

The bullied kitty will flee the situation, but the aggressive kitty will not let her flee, follows and wants to continue attacking. So that kind of serious aggression.  Culminating in her attacking me to get to the other kitty.  And that day the whole hallway smelled with "angry cat smell".... I've read its anal glands??  Lovely.

Now they are permanently separated (still rotating spaces) but no more trying to reintroduce. But we're terrified of a door being left open or something.  And the one isolated howls and scratches at the door the whole time.  Not sustainable. 

It sounds like you have done pretty much everything that you can.  I'm so sorry.  That's a hard place to be, especially if you have family fighting against rehoming.

Would your daughter be able to take one of the cats when she marries?

It sounds like you have done pretty much everything that you can.  I'm so sorry.  That's a hard place to be, especially if you have family fighting against rehoming.

Would your daughter be able to take one of the cats when she marries?

That's being discussed as an option.  At least 6 months away though.  Thank you for commenting though, I've been feeling very down, but I don't want the one kitty to be seriously hurt or even killed.

• Like 1

Had a dude try to scam my college kid in the parking lot of the grocery store last night.  Several lies, well dressed (not for the weather, but for an office job), thought he was going to blackjack the kid as he did not stay a respectful distance away from the vehicle as the kid grabbed some change...good learning experience but really I had other things I wanted to do.  Dude was five blocks from the police station, where he knows darn well he can get the bus ticket he claims he wants...and a ride to the bus station which is 15 miles away  Doesn't need to be scamming teens.  I am just so sick of the older gen preying on the young.

How frustrating!

Day 3 of my chem peel.  AHHHH! I've done a dozen of these over the past couple of years and I knew it was coming but AHHHHH! Today is cracking, peeling, itching, stinging, day.  I'm hiding in the laundry room because my husband's employee who carpooled with him for the first time ever is hanging out in my living room looking through the books we're getting rid of.  Of course he has no idea I look like my face is melting and am hiding, but does he have to stay so long?  AHHHHH! Why today?

It's probably too warm in AZ for Cracking Peeling Itching Stinging Day to coincide with Ski Mask Wearing Day; elsewhere in the country, however, that could be a legit coverup. 

• Like 1

It's probably too warm in AZ for Cracking Peeling Itching Stinging Day to coincide with Ski Mask Wearing Day; elsewhere in the country, however, that could be a legit coverup. 

Brilliant!

Yeah, it's 75 degrees today, but to be fair it was summer until Thanksgiving and it was 120 on Father's Day.

• Like 2