Menu

Microfiber or other cloth for hard floors?

happypamama

Our first floor is a mix of various hard floors.  I am just not really satisfied with using a broom on it.  I'm wondering if a microfiber or other cloth sort of dry mop thing would be faster and easier since the children are the ones who usually do the sweeping, and then they or I could just touch up the corners/edges with the broom or vacuum wand.  Maybe I want a Swiffer but with a cloth cover instead of the disposable ones that tend to fall off and be a general pain in the neck?  

Does anyone use one of these?  How well do they work?  It seems like a good width and like it would pick up dirt pretty well in a very high traffic area.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/O-Cedar-Dual-Action-Microfiber-Flip-Mop-138000/204412159

Edited by happypamama

Our first floor is a mix of various hard floors.  I am just not really satisfied with using a broom on it.  I'm wondering if a microfiber or other cloth sort of dry mop thing would be faster and easier since the children are the ones who usually do the sweeping, and then they or I could just touch up the corners/edges with the broom or vacuum wand.  Maybe I want a Swiffer but with a cloth cover instead of the disposable ones that tend to fall off and be a general pain in the neck?  

Does anyone use one of these?  How well do they work?  It seems like a good width and like it would pick up dirt pretty well in a very high traffic area.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/O-Cedar-Dual-Action-Microfiber-Flip-Mop-138000/204412159

Yes, I have that one and I really like it for dust mopping. After I'm done I take it out and bang it on the side of the house (brick--it can take it ;)) to shake it out.

I don't particularly care for microfiber for wet mopping, but the side of that one meant for wet mopping does okay. Better than others I've tried. I prefer this. Best wet mop ever, IMO.

• Like 2

I own that exact mop (and a couple other similar ones) and it works just fine for catching modest amounts of dust/fur/etc. It won't grab gritty stuff, though. We use them on wood floors with Bona Floor Cleaner. It'd probably work about as well with a fine spray of water, though. In my dirty/furry/hairy home, we have to vacuum first unless the floors are cleaned at least daily. IME, these sorts of dust mops clean *better* (and much more environmentally friendly and cheaper) than a Swiffer but similarly, and have the similar weakness of not being able to pick up large quantities of stuff at once and also missing gritty/sandy type dirt.

Primarily, I use/used this sort of mop to *clean* the hardwood floors (with a good bit of elbow grease -- sort of like washing grimy windows with Windex and a rag) *after* vacuuming up the "tumbleweeds" of hair/fur and the cat litter tracked in the laundry room, etc. If you have a cleaner-than-mine household, though, daily dust mopping with it might replace most/all vacuuming. 

For just mopping dust, it's super easy and WAY faster and easier than vacuuming, etc. When you're having to use elbow grease to scrub at drips/spots/etc on the floor with a spray cleaner (as I generally used it), then it's a good bit of work . . . (And I thank the stars for the day I impulse-bought a steam mop . . . as it is sooooo much less work.)

I definitely think these types of washable flat mops are a million times better than Swiffers, FWIW.

• Like 1

Have you tried a rubber broom? Once you het the hang of it, I find it much more effective.

No, I haven't.  That sounds interesting.  Hmmmm.  I'll have to look at those.

Yes, I have that one and I really like it for dust mopping. After I'm done I take it out and bang it on the side of the house (brick--it can take it ;)) to shake it out.

I don't particularly care for microfiber for wet mopping, but the side of that one meant for wet mopping does okay. Better than others I've tried. I prefer this. Best wet mop ever, IMO.

I have a cotton string mop that is great for wet mopping, which is fine.  I need something for dust mopping.  Glad to hear it works well for that!  I think it's wider than the Swiffer, which would be nice.

I have that one. I like it. Get two or three covers for it. So you have one handy. 

Oh, most definitely multiple covers!  That's a given for sure.

I own that exact mop (and a couple other similar ones) and it works just fine for catching modest amounts of dust/fur/etc. It won't grab gritty stuff, though. We use them on wood floors with Bona Floor Cleaner. It'd probably work about as well with a fine spray of water, though. In my dirty/furry/hairy home, we have to vacuum first unless the floors are cleaned at least daily. IME, these sorts of dust mops clean *better* (and much more environmentally friendly and cheaper) than a Swiffer but similarly, and have the similar weakness of not being able to pick up large quantities of stuff at once and also missing gritty/sandy type dirt.

Primarily, I use/used this sort of mop to *clean* the hardwood floors (with a good bit of elbow grease -- sort of like washing grimy windows with Windex and a rag) *after* vacuuming up the "tumbleweeds" of hair/fur and the cat litter tracked in the laundry room, etc. If you have a cleaner-than-mine household, though, daily dust mopping with it might replace most/all vacuuming. 

For just mopping dust, it's super easy and WAY faster and easier than vacuuming, etc. When you're having to use elbow grease to scrub at drips/spots/etc on the floor with a spray cleaner (as I generally used it), then it's a good bit of work . . . (And I thank the stars for the day I impulse-bought a steam mop . . . as it is sooooo much less work.)

I definitely think these types of washable flat mops are a million times better than Swiffers, FWIW.

We live in the country and have a terrible entryway, so it's very easy for dirt to get tracked all over.  We sweep just about every day, and I mop as needed, but something that works well for picking up dirt would be helpful.  I'm looking for something a little easier than a broom.  My vacuum, in theory, does hard floors, but in reality, I don't think it's the best thing because it tends to blow dust around because the beater brush doesn't stop rotating.  (It's great for carpet though.)  I think I will try it and see how it goes.

No, I haven't.  That sounds interesting.  Hmmmm.  I'll have to look at those.

I have a cotton string mop that is great for wet mopping, which is fine.  I need something for dust mopping.  Glad to hear it works well for that!  I think it's wider than the Swiffer, which would be nice.

Oh, most definitely multiple covers!  That's a given for sure.

We live in the country and have a terrible entryway, so it's very easy for dirt to get tracked all over.  We sweep just about every day, and I mop as needed, but something that works well for picking up dirt would be helpful.  I'm looking for something a little easier than a broom.  My vacuum, in theory, does hard floors, but in reality, I don't think it's the best thing because it tends to blow dust around because the beater brush doesn't stop rotating.  (It's great for carpet though.)  I think I will try it and see how it goes.

Oh, gosh, I think you need a new easy to use vacuum that is better for hard floors!!

• Like 1