Menu

Keto (?) friendly holiday menu

KungFuPanda

I know some of you have thought this through. We have friends coming for Christmas dinner. They’re keto dieters (new fad, not medical) and Jewish. I’m thinking big meat/no pork. If you’ve thought this through could you share your menu. I’ll have favorites for us, but I want to make sure they have choices too.

How low carb are they? If they're only low-er carb, it's a lot easier to work with. 

I'm sure you got the meat bit down.

For sides,

Roasted broccoli/brussels sprouts are pretty low carb.

Creamed spinach can work nicely too.

A sweet and sour red cabbage + apples is a bit higher but still lower than most dishes.

Roasted carrots and turnips are again a bit higher but lower than most. 

Stuffed mushrooms, peppers, or tomatoes with a filling that's heavily biased towards meat.

Deviled eggs.

Cauliflower mash. 

Not just the same animal, but don't mix meat (of any kind) with dairy (of any kind, including butter) -- unless you specifically confirm that it's okay. I know one family that will mix poultry with dairy because chickens don't give milk, but they're in a small minority. 

Soooo . . . none of the good stuff.

I could do some stuffed peppers. Is feta ok with beef? I’m thinking I just can’t use a cheese from the same animal . . . or did I make that up. They’re one step up from the most liberal with the rules.

On that, definitely ask them. My sister is orthodox and won’t even eat food from my kitchen. :) It can vary widely, and I would totally ask - she would definitely not do dairy and meat within the same small timeframe. Clearly, they’re coming to dinner so it’s not that extreme. Still, maybe just ask on that one.

Which, depending on their dietary needs there, might make my suggestions re: keeping things keto a moot point.

I was going to suggest a tray with cheeses, salamis, prosciutto, etc, and olives. Ha! Perhaps not if they are semi-kosher. But those things make me happy, because no matter what they are on my keto diet and I know I’ll be okay for food with those around.

I’d go with meats, vegetables (I like roasted). Nuts and seeds might work. Avocado is good on keto, too. If dairy is ok with meats, then add cheeses.

Soooo . . . none of the good stuff.

I could do some stuffed peppers. Is feta ok with beef? I’m thinking I just can’t use a cheese from the same animal . . . or did I make that up. They’re one step up from the most liberal with the rules.

No dairy mixed with meat.  If they are liberal with the "rules" they probably don't follow that?  I'd ask.

But holy heck. I wouldn't go to someone's house and expect that kind of accommodation.

They don’t expect anything, but I make such a wide variety of foods that I figured I could just plug in keto-friendly sides. I probably make a lot of those dishes anyway, I just don’t know what they ARE and thought someone here might have a holiday menu planned.

• Like 2

You might find it helpful to think of keto not as low carb, but as high fat. If you just do some sort of meat and roasted veggies, your guests are going to be hungry. Definitely try to include nuts, full fat dairy, or something else high in fat.

Really?  I wouldn't be hungry after meat and veg.  That's the perfect stuff.

I mean sure I like snacky stuff too, but low carb keeps me full so I don't really eat much.

• Like 1

They’re pretty liberal on the kosher front. I’ve fed them for years by avoiding pork, shellfish, and serving cheese on the side so they can choose how to use it. They don’t eat bacon cheeseburgers, but they’re not super observant.

I could do cheesy cauliflower, but how do you do a cheese sauce without flour? Heavy cream?

They’re pretty liberal on the kosher front. I’ve fed them for years by avoiding pork, shellfish, and serving cheese on the side so they can choose how to use it. They don’t eat bacon cheeseburgers, but they’re not super observant.

I could do cheesy cauliflower, but how do you do a cheese sauce without flour? Heavy cream?

If they don't do the dairy and meat at the same meal, then I wouldn't bother to make cheesy dishes unless they are going to skip the meat. 

Also, a tablespoon of flour in an entire batch of whatever isn't many carbs...most people who are low carb would be okay with that for a holiday menu.

I haven't seen any sort of cheese sauce recipe that calls for only one tablespoon.

But yeah 1 TBSP isn't a big deal.  I personally don't forgo gravy (made with flour) because..come on...it's gravy.  LOL