Menu

lower tuition trend?

MarkT

"Colleges Slash Sticker Prices

From Kiplinger's Personal Finance, December 2017

The cost of attending college usually moves in one direction: up, and often quickly. Over the past decade, the published cost of tuition and fees has increased 27% at private not-for-profit four-year colleges and 41% for in-state students at four-year public colleges. But a growing number of colleges have been reversing the trend by slashing their sticker prices.

More than three dozen mostly small and midsize private colleges have announced tuition cuts since 2011. This fall, Drew University announced that it would reduce the cost of tuition for the 2018–19 academic year by 20%, and Birmingham-Southern College cut its sticker price by more than 50%. Look for more schools to announce similar price cuts as states, such as New York, pursue programs to make public college tuition-free for in-state students, says David Warren, president of the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities. Many schools hope the change will make them appear more affordable and will attract more applicants.

But a cut in tuition or other published costs may not save you much money. Often, the reduced sticker prices are closer to what many students were already paying after factoring in financial aid. The main beneficiaries will be families that qualify for little or no aid.

"

I wish they'd lower tuition prices, but I don't see a reason why public universities in NY would lower their sticker price - in fact, wouldn't it make sense for them to increase their sticker price, since the tuition they get for most in-state students is fixed by the state, so any increase would have to come from out-of-state students and in-state students who don't qualify for free tuition (such as yours truly (not a student at the moment, but I still want to finish my degree at some point before my kids graduate high school)).

I wish they'd lower tuition prices, but I don't see a reason why public universities in NY would lower their sticker price - in fact, wouldn't it make sense for them to increase their sticker price, since the tuition they get for most in-state students is fixed by the state, so any increase would have to come from out-of-state students and in-state students who don't qualify for free tuition (such as yours truly (not a student at the moment, but I still want to finish my degree at some point before my kids graduate high school)).

SUNY discounts are for residents only (income based) they are not lowering their tuition

They probably want to keep out of state costs low enough to attract some students

SUNY discounts are for residents only (income based) they are not lowering their tuition

They probably want to keep out of state costs low enough to attract some students

The thing is, not every NYS resident is eligible, even if their income is under $100k. If you don't complete 30 credits in a year you're not eligible. Likewise:

"Students who began an associate’s degree or a bachelor’s degree who are not on-track to complete on time are not eligible to receive an award."

I was 13 credits shy from graduating in Texas, but that would involve out-of-state tuition and flying there for at least one weekend (and since they changed the degree program since then, more than 13 credits now). In NY, I'd be in-state since we've lived here for 5 years, and as a transfer student there are some majors that would let me graduate in just 30 hours (the minimum a university requires from transfer students). I won't be able to take all 30 of those in one calendar year for various reasons (prereqs, scheduling, homeschooling two kids one of which is special needs, etc), and I'm not on-track to graduate on time anyway, so, I'm not eligible for multiple reasons even though our household income is decidedly under $100k. But, with this tuition discount program, it'd be easy for SUNY to increase in-state tuition, since most in-state students at 4-year universities ARE eligible. So... this may end up hurting me. I really don't see how lowering in-state tuition would benefit SUNY, so I don't think they will. 

Anyway, that was a not-relevant-to-most-other-people rant... all I was saying is that I'd love it if they'd lower tuition, but I doubt they will.

• Like 1

One of the reasons I have a mom crush on Purdue is that they are sensitive to the cost of attendance and are trying to keep the school fiscally sound and affordable at the same time.

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2017/Q1/purdue-to-hold-tuition-flat-through-2018-19.html

FWIW, one of my kids was accepted there a couple years ago.  He was offered merit aid that would have brought the price down to what was equivalent to in state tuition for our home state.  

I have one more kid, and I think Purdue could be a fantastic fit for him.  Maybe I'll have a boilermaker yet.

• Like 3

Washington State lowered in-state tuition two years ago also. If I remember correctly, in-state tuition was also chained by the legislation that lowered tuition in the first place. It's definitely something to watch for.

Alas, all good things must end. They are increasing rates this year for the first time since 2013. Still a good deal vs. some other states.

I am waiting for a paradigm shift in education but the pace of change in education is slow. I think the whole idea of 4 year college needs to be reconsidered but it won't happen before my kids get there.

We have 3 state colleges that have lowered tuition (or will for 2018 and beyond).  Western Carolina, Pembrooke, and Elizabeth City.  They have drastically slashed out of state tuition, and it is a good deal for out of state, but even for in-state, it is less.  

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/politics-columns-blogs/under-the-dome/article152698209.html

Tuition will be reduced to $1000 for the year for in-state 

Fees run about $5500/yr.

Room and Board ranges from $6500-12,000 depending on location, dorm choice, meal plan choice, etc....

BTW:  We have only considered Western.  It is one of the schools my son has applied to.  It says on the website that with a 3.5 GPA, you are guaranteed admission.  He has that, so we are expecting an acceptance letter.  

Edited by DawnM