Menu

Cookie disaster, can they be saved?

Night Elf

I made Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin Cookies that I got from the Quaker site. The dough was super soft, like runny. It fell out of my scoop onto the pan on its own. As they cooked, they flattened out, the edges burned and the middles were raw. I could have left them in but they looked horrible. 

Here's the recipe that I halved.

1/2 cup plus 6 tablespoons butter (softened)

3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1/2 cup granulated sugar

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)

3 cups Quaker Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)

1 cup raisins

All I did was substitue 1 cup of chocolate chips for the raisins. I double checked every measurement as I halved it so I know I have the right amount of ingredients. 

What happened to them? I still have the rest of the dough saved. Can I do something to it to make the cookies turn out or should I just toss it and consider this yet another cookie failure on my part?

I printed the recipe directly from their website. I didn't copy it over so that's really the amount of butter they say. Ok, I'll leave it in the fridge for an hour and try a cookie. If that doesn't work, I'll add more flour and try again. I wish now I hadn't cooked a dozen already. That's such a waste! 

I've used that recipe a lot and never had it come out runny (but I've not tried halving it--I've doubled it though). I think something must be off (could you have grabbed the wrong measuring cup for the flour and did 1/2 cup instead of 3/4 or something like that?) Sometimes altitude differences can make the water content in flour somewhat different, though I wouldn't expect it to be runny. I do think I'd try adding flour, maybe 1/4 cup at a time, and see if it firms up. Seems a shame to just toss the dough if it otherwise tastes good! 

I've used that recipe a lot and never had it come out runny (but I've not tried halving it--I've doubled it though). I think something must be off (could you have grabbed the wrong measuring cup for the flour and did 1/2 cup instead of 3/4 or something like that?) Sometimes altitude differences can make the water content in flour somewhat different, though I wouldn't expect it to be runny. I do think I'd try adding flour, maybe 1/4 cup at a time, and see if it firms up. Seems a shame to just toss the dough if it otherwise tastes good! 

I actually used a tablespoon to measure out the flour. I used 12 tablespoons.

Yes, the cookies tasted really good. I had to scrape them off the pan into one big heap and then dump it into the garbage, but I did taste it before I did that. That's why I was hoping to save this dough.

I make cakes, cupcakes, and muffins fine but my cookies never turn out. Someone once suggested there may be a problem with my oven. I don't know how old it is but we've lived here for 11 years and the house is 20 years old. We're the third owners. How can I tell if I have a problem with my oven? It cooks meat well and roasts veggies okay. It's just cookies!!

If your tablespoon is a bit off, that would make your flour measurement way off. I don't think it's necessarily the oven, because the dough as you described it is just too liquid to begin with. It sounds like too much butter or not enough flour/oats to me. 

I would agree with adding flour until it firms up. 

Night Elf I just wish I could just come over and we could make some cookies together this holiday season😊

Then we could figure out what was going on while sampling all the sweets!

Aww.. I'd love that but you might get frustrated since this house seems to be a jinx for cookies. If these don't work out, I'm going to try a new cupcake recipe.

And FWIW, when I say my DH is going to take them to his office, I don't mean as a formal presentation. It's more he leaves them on the breakroom table and people grab them as they go in for drinks. He gets there at 8am and checks the breakroom at 9am and the treats are gone. I guess my baked goods are used as breakfast. :)

• Like 3