Menu

PSA: Christmas Tradition for Bookish People

HS Mom in NC

Just in case you guys don't already know, there's a lovely Christmas Eve tradition in Iceland called Jolabokaflod which roughly translates to Christmas Book Flood in English.
http://www.icelandwritersretreat.com/christmas-book-flood-beloved-icelandic-tradition

As I understand it, it's also common to give chocolates along with the book to enjoy on Christmas Eve. 

• Like 17

I read the article but cannot figure out how to practice this in our household (bear with me, it's late!)  :D  Would you mind elaborating on what you guys do? I'm always up for more books...  :lol:

I ask each family member for a book list and a treat list (one future son in law doesn't like chocolate and one daughter isn't a big fan either) the day after Thanksgiving. On Christmas Eve I give each person a book wrapped up and treats in their stockings so they can eat and read at bedtime. Of course, there's no reason it has to be Christmas Eve vs. Christmas. Mostly it's about incorporating the joy of books into your celebration.