Menu

Cut that hasn't stopped bleeding?

PeterPan

My ds9 cut himself with a pocket knife last night, and I wasn't sure how deep it was. He said it was throbbing, and it seemed to stop with pressure and thick gauze and tape. He went down to a bandaid today, and it has worked open and is gently bleeding. Not throbbing, not gushing, but definitely still wet in the crack with blood.

What do I do? I don't think it's emergency room stitches, but it needs a little something. Like they talk about that skin glue to hold together layers. It needs something. Anyone know?

I often have to use bandaids with blood-stopping stuff added when I cut my fingers.

I use these - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Curad-Quickstop-Instant-Clotting-Technology-Flex-Fabric-Bandages-Assorted-30-ea/183454027

I did not know there was such a thing!

I’d go with a butterfly bandaid, pulled together over the cut and then restrict movement of the area for a good day or so. I’d maybe try the glue, not sure about that one though. Hope he gets well soon!

Seems so obvious after you say it, lol. Thank you, yes, that would be excellent. I have to see if we have any. 

Corn starch is an excellent styptic powder too, if it won’t stop bleeding you can pack the wound with it and bandage, it will air in forming a scab/clot.

Turns out there's something called WoundSeal and it actually forms a sort of scab coating till the area heals. I'm thinking between that and a butterfly bandaid, we'd be golden. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

If you have to go to the drugstore for supplies you may as well get something like a finger splint. Wash it well, dry it well with clean gauze, neosporin or other scar-reducing antibiotic cream, butterfly bandage, and either enough guaze and tape padded up to remind him not to use that finger or depending on how active he is, possibly a finger splint taped up so he cannot bend the finger and re-open the wound.  They sell them in the first aid section of Walgreens, etc.

They do sell glue (liquid band-aid) that's approved for wounds but IME they are terrible for fingers.

• Like 1

If you have to go to the drugstore for supplies you may as well get something like a finger splint. Wash it well, dry it well with clean gauze, neosporin or other scar-reducing antibiotic cream, butterfly bandage, and either enough guaze and tape padded up to remind him not to use that finger or depending on how active he is, possibly a finger splint taped up so he cannot bend the finger and re-open the wound.  They sell them in the first aid section of Walgreens, etc.

They do sell glue (liquid band-aid) that's approved for wounds but IME they are terrible for fingers.

Yeah, that liquid bandaid stuff is what I was wondering about! I have New Skin, which is fine for coating something that just needs to be protected, but I thought there was something more for liquid sutures type stuff. If it's not good on fingers, I won't sweat it. He's all taped up now, but I need to go look for a butterfly bandaid. I can hit Walgreens tomorrow. 

We do have a splint, but it's not that serious a cut really. If it were that bad, I'd have taken him in.