Menu

Selling on CL - help me understand this response.

PrincessMommy

I ask because this isn't the first time I've received an email like this when selling something on Craigslist.  

In the very first email they send. The person says they are interested and then asks  "Please get back to me with the final price if it’s still available."  

Huh?  Does he expect me to negotiate with myself?

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 1

I ask because this isn't the first time I've received an email like this when selling something onCraigslist.

In the very first email they send. The person says they are interested and then asks "Please get back to me with the final price if it’s still available.

"

Huh? Does he expect me to negotiate with myself?

"The price is in the listing. Please let me know if you would like to buy it."

My guess is that he's asking for your rock-bottom price because he doesn't want the back-and-forth of negotiating. But he's not very clear about it.

• Like 1

I think it's most likely it's a scammer.  I suspect that you would respond....with anything, a price, a statement that the price is in the ad....he would respond back with some statement that he will be sending a check for more than the amount and you are supposed to keep some for yourself but send some back to him, etc etc.  That type of CL ad response is usually phishing to see who responds. 

Interesting.  I have responded to this exact question with, "The price is XX (whatever is listed) and I will allow for local pick up with cash only."  

I didn't think it was phishing though, I thought they were just trying to get a better deal.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 3

I sometimes search by a certain phrase, e.g. IKEA or DESK. So sometimes I'll get an ad that may not be the most recent one; i.e., it'll be an older ad at a higher price (posted by the same seller). I only just recently learned that this is because my default sorting was set to "relevant" and not to "date" which explained why that was happening to me. I'm not all that internet savvy! 

Also, sometimes I'll bite an ad that has been sitting for awhile  - maybe a week, maybe a month. At that point some sellers just want it gone (if they still have the item) so they'll give me a "just come take it away" price. I always ask something to the effect of the OP's buyer. I also come from a culture where bargaining is expected, and even cherished as an art form. :) I know other cultures operate under the same traditional expectation, in which case - yes, I guess they'd be expecting the seller to negotiate against herself in the interest of getting the game going. LOL

But "final price" is a weird phrase that sets off red flags for me.

“Final price†is often used in bargaining by the seller e.g “This is my final price, take it or leave it†which means the seller isn’t going to continue bargaining. So my MIL who is used to bargaining at flea markets would ask for the “final price†and it won’t be weird.

I think it's most likely it's a scammer.  I suspect that you would respond....with anything, a price, a statement that the price is in the ad....he would respond back with some statement that he will be sending a check for more than the amount and you are supposed to keep some for yourself but send some back to him, etc etc.  That type of CL ad response is usually phishing to see who responds. 

You are correct.

I sent him a response that Seasider recommended.  He emailed me back saying that he is on his honeymoon and to please can he send a cashier's check and he'll get movers to come get it.

And that's a big fat no.

edited for clarity

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 3

it may be an attitude from wherever the buyer is from.   they may also think you are open to negotiation, and that isn't your "real" price.

I've encountered a number of seller's over the years who inflate their asking price, expecting the buyer to want less.

eg. bookcase - asking $200.   I'm willing to pay that much, ask them how much they want.  $150.

dh's car. 10yo camry. low miles.  under priced for the condition.  how much do you want?   they dropped it at least $1K off their asking price.  it was already a heck of a deal.

I've also had people low ball me an offer the day I've listed something.   I even had one person looking to buy an instrument for their kid back and forth on me over a german made violin.  I finally told him "this is my price.  take it or leave it and shut up. (incidentally- I sold it to a music major violist who needed to add a violin.   he came, played a few notes - handed over the cash and was thrilled with his deal.)

for stupidest reason - goes to a RE agent over my mom's condo. (condo's in ___ go for ___% under list.  so that's how much I'm offering.)  I admit, I wanted to drop a note to the buyer and tell them to get a more intelligent agent.  we sold it for considerably more than he advised them to offer.

I have come across the scam of "the car is at relatives in another state".  you have to go through ebaycars to buy it.. . .

so, what's the ebay listing #?

Oh, I have a relative in that city. where are you so they can look at it?   no response.

that very same add was on CL all over.  I hit report fraud on every single one.

• Like 2

You are correct.

I sent him a response that Seasider recommended. He emailed me back saying that he is on his honeymoon and to please can he send a cashier's check and he'll get movers to come get it.

And that's a big fat no.

edited for clarity

Well I am sorry he wasted your time!

• Like 2