Menu

Generator shelter?

MEmama

We just bought a small Honda inverter generator to run our pellet stove, and now we need to figure out how to shelter it so we can use it in inclement weather (rain but mostly ice and snow).

The shelters I'm finding are for larger, more permanent generators. Does anyone have a safe solution for a portable unit (for use, not storage)?

• Like 1

Listening in.

We have yet to use our generator, and we don't have a suitable shelter for it.  We had a make shift wood frame with tarp when we prepped for one storm, but I was so worried about the tarp trapping fumes AND the open spots taking blown in snow. Sigh.  Fortunately, the electricity stayed on.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: This idea may be completely insane, but...   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I am wondering if it is feasible to use a recycled plastic kids playhouse...maybe along the lines of a vintage Little Tikes. 

Sure do wish I had kept the one I bought used and spray painted to match our house...it could have simply been 'plopped' on top of the generator and the cord could have been strung out a window.

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/little-tikes-playhouse/

• Like 2

I just saw one that looked like a large vented dog house with removable front.

I've seen people rig these up, but there's a huge fire danger involved. Generators get so hot and gasses can build up quickly if there isn't sufficient ventilation. Just this week someone's house burned down because the generator was too close to the house, and someone else lost their garage because they ran their generator inside the garage.

Ours is smaller than those units must have been, but still. Lots of people are being treated locally right now for carbon monoxide poisoning from improper ventilation.

• Like 1

Disclaimer: This idea may be completely insane, but... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am wondering if it is feasible to use a recycled plastic kids playhouse...maybe along the lines of a vintage Little Tikes.

Sure do wish I had kept the one I bought used and spray painted to match our house...it could have simply been 'plopped' on top of the generator and the cord could have been strung out a window.

Not insane as long as its ventilated enough to let out the heat. It would be cute, for sure!

We just bought a small Honda inverter generator to run our pellet stove, and now we need to figure out how to shelter it so we can use it in inclement weather (rain but mostly ice and snow).

The shelters I'm finding are for larger, more permanent generators. Does anyone have a safe solution for a portable unit (for use, not storage)?

Did you get your power back yet?

I have no ideas for you, but am following too.   And I would love to hear how you eventually solve this!

• Like 1

Did you get your power back yet?

I have no ideas for you, but am following too. And I would love to hear how you eventually solve this!

Nope. Most of our neighbourhood has power, but the line to our house came down in the storm. There are still huge areas without, and of course they need to restore power to as many people as they can before dealing with individuals. It's been a week now, but honestly, it just makes me feel so grateful. We were able to buy the generator, we have heat, we can cook, we have food in our coolers, we have water, we are safe. No complaints here.

We are coming up with some plans involving installing a corrugated metal roof off our garden shed for the shelter...I tried to post a picture, but I can't make it small enough. If I can manage to post it, I'd love input. Of course I want it functional AND cute. :)

Nope. Most of our neighbourhood has power, but the line to our house came down in the storm. There are still huge areas without, and of course they need to restore power to as many people as they can before dealing with individuals. It's been a week now, but honestly, it just makes me feel so grateful. We were able to buy the generator, we have heat, we can cook, we have food in our coolers, we have water, we are safe. No complaints here.

We are coming up with some plans involving installing a corrugated metal roof off our garden shed for the shelter...I tried to post a picture, but I can't make it small enough. If I can manage to post it, I'd love input. Of course I want it functional AND cute. :)

We got our power back Friday.   It could have been so much worse.

We have things in place to get enough heat to "not freeze to death" but that's about it.   We're trying to come up with a new plan to be a little bit more comfortable next time.  Which is why I have generators on the brain right now.

Glad to hear you are okay, and I hope you get your power back soon!

• Like 1

We got our power back Friday. It could have been so much worse.

We have things in place to get enough heat to "not freeze to death" but that's about it. We're trying to come up with a new plan to be a little bit more comfortable next time. Which is why I have generators on the brain right now.

Glad to hear you are okay, and I hope you get your power back soon!

I'm so glad you got yours back!

We'd put off buying a generator for far too many years. This was a good reminder for sure. We are so lucky that it isn't actually cold yet, but it's easy enough to imagine the consequences if it was (frozen pipes and frozen us!). I'm kinda glad the decision was made for us, honestly. It's tough for me to make that kind of investment not knowing if/when it will be needed, you know?

• Like 1

Disclaimer: This idea may be completely insane, but...   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Hmm... I think I might actually do this!

• Like 1