Menu

Help in Maine getting diagnosis for 3 yo

Onalulu

Need help for curriculum to start 3 yo girl with sensory issues and on spectrum. No dx yet. But need to know what steps to take for early intervention to help parents. I am watching her once a week and will increase timeframe soon.

Tia

For what to do with the dc, I would do things you'd normally do with any child. The MFW preschool activity cards are very good and they hit things they'd work on in ABA, like categorization. They're REALLY good and a snap to implement. Playing games is really good, doing play together. Anything where you're interacting, taking turns, working on language. Games and toys have age numbers, so with my ds what I did was go by the age numbers or younger. Like he enjoyed toys that were marked x amount younger than his own age, so it gave me a way to work through the toy store and know ok these are the next step in toys for him. Toys give you a really good developmental progression.

The challenge is that this is a dc who should be receiving intervention. How severe are we talking on the spectrum? ASD 1, 2, 3 support level? Because the higher the support level, the more ABA they would be recommending for the dc. So if you also watch other kids or have your own kids to teach, then that's taking away from hours you can spend with the dc. With my ds, time alone, time doing his own thing, was the enemy. Independent play is something that is pretty normal, reasonable, fine for kids generally, but for him the more he would fall into his world. 

The girl is right on the line for aging out of EI. You could call them yourself and just ask. I think around that age the kids transfer over to the ps for services, which means the dc either gets qualified for services by the ps or gets a private diagnosis. If it's this obvious, then they should probably see if their insurance will cover a hospital diagnosis. It's the easiest way. They want a clinic with a multi-factorial eval (speech, OT, etc.).

On the therapy side, you're looking at stuff like Hanen, play therapies, etc. Really, if you're socially typical yourself, just play with her. Play, play, play. Play math, play picaboo, play pretend, play narratives with felt, play games, play toys that work on cause effect and sorting. 

What are her most glaring issues right now? Why is it so obvious she's on the spectrum? The hardest thing for you to work on is language, and language dramatically affects behavior, etc. It's a HUGE reason to want a diagnosis and intervention, if there are language issues.

Edited by OhElizabeth

On a personal level, I would be forthright with the parents about what you're seeing. If she's clearly on the spectrum, she would get disability-specific intervention through a ps preschool. I'd have a very short leash on the dc not getting diagnosed and beginning appropriate intervention. There can be lots of opinions on what that intervention should be, sure. But diagnosis and some kind of intervention plan. Maybe their insurance pays to get you trained as an RBT if they like you so much. But a plan.

Need help for curriculum to start 3 yo girl with sensory issues and on spectrum. No dx yet. But need to know what steps to take for early intervention to help parents. I am watching her once a week and will increase timeframe soon.

Tia

I have forgotten what MFW is I’ve been out of hsing Little’s for long no time. Also was RBT that sounds like great line of direction.

There is only one local preschool and no one to do these kids they are getting lost til elementary school.

https://www.bacb.com

Okay, on this site you can search for someone with a certain certification near your zip code. RBT is a certain certification that goes along with ABA therapy. The other certifications are BCBA and BCaBA.

If there are any in your area you can shoot them an email.

It is one of those things -- the certification is something, but someone with a certification isn't automatically good. It is something that is out there, though, and maybe there is someone in your area -- you can see when you search.

Edited by Lecka

I just googled a minute and found this:

http://www.asmonline.org/News/107/Article/7208/

If you are anywhere near any of these towns, it could be worth trying to go and network. There will be autism families and providers and you can ask what they do.

You can ask if there is any telemedicine options, or training available for the pre-school, or anything like that. We used to live in a rural part of a state that had some options like that but it would be hard to find out about them, because they would be based out of the population centers.

Even if there are no preschools, there may still be school districts or special ed agencies servicing kids with teachers & therapists in their homes during the preschool years. (I’m in a rural area of NY and provide in home services to kids birth to 5)

Parents can start with calling EI or the school district.