Menu

CM people - new resource

Do you mean making short lessons? Does that make it more CM?

Short lessons, yes. Experiential/hands-on/observational, and also systematic learning through good, modern living books. But also - it's very tricky to follow a science curric and 'stay out of the way of the child's learning' and not over-teach to the child.

• Like 2

I reached out to the UM people through their contact form on their blog - because now I was very curious after this discussion, whether BFSU would be the focus or if they would also offer natural history/nature study recommendations. I asked, and this was their reply (and I'm sharing here with their permission).

"Yes, that is definitely part of our goal. We love BFSU, but we aren't scheduling anything pre-Year 1 and we want Year 1-3 to be a very slow almost supplemental use of BFSU where nature study and natural history really shine. One of the things that drew us to Charlotte Mason is the idea of inculcating wonder and joy in the natural world in our kids. "

• Like 3

I think evaluating a new program does several things beyond helping us decide whether or not it's a good it for our family. Sometimes in learning about other approaches, we are given a chance to see our own approach in a new light. Also, hearing other people's thoughts about a program can help us make an informed decision. Further, sometimes the best way to make a decision about a program is to try to find all the faults, in addition to finding all the strengths.

I say this in case anyone thinks we are being overly critical. Thinking critically and skeptically is something I hope a solid, secular, Charlotte Mason-inspired education would promote. Science is built on trying to prove itself wrong.

I agree. I often find myself thinking and considering and discussing a lot of new curricula that I may never consider using in my own homeschool.

I think these conversations are great, and worthwhile to the authors of the curricula also - it's good for them to hear what people are thinking and saying about what they're creating. I would think, anyway.

• Like 1

Short lessons, yes. Experiential/hands-on/observational, and also systematic learning through good, modern living books. But also - it's very tricky to follow a science curric and 'stay out of the way of the child's learning' and not over-teach to the child.

So maybe using it more as a parental resource? That makes more sense to me. Always good to have various tools in the toolbox and a variety of books on the shelves.

I reached out to the UM people through their contact form on their blog - because now I was very curious after this discussion, whether BFSU would be the focus or if they would also offer natural history/nature study recommendations. I asked, and this was their reply (and I'm sharing here with their permission).

"Yes, that is definitely part of our goal. We love BFSU, but we aren't scheduling anything pre-Year 1 and we want Year 1-3 to be a very slow almost supplemental use of BFSU where nature study and natural history really shine. One of the things that drew us to Charlotte Mason is the idea of inculcating wonder and joy in the natural world in our kids. "

I hope the idea of "inculcating wonder and joy in the natural world in our kids" becomes more evident as they further develop the educational plan and website. Thus far, it doesn't have that feel. 

(On a side note: I'm not sure *inculcating* is a word I would connect with wonder and joy....)

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy

I spent a big chunk of time looking at their blog when you first posted it.  I'm trying to say this without sounding like I'm a jerk just ripping it apart...  Yes, it looks to me like a curriculum for advanced kids who are not asynchronous and don't mind their entire day scheduled for them.  This curriculum is also the opposite of a multum non multa approach (IMO) - but I think newer homeschoolers are probably not looking for that, anyway.   

AOPS Calculus by 11th grade?  And only one year per book?  I just feel like there are going to be a lot of frustrated parents out there.   :001_unsure:  It took us 2 years just to get through the AOPS pre algebra book and we school year-round (even more embarrassing - Lol!).

And Latin + 2 foreign languages.  OK, realistically, this is really, really hard to pull off in a homeschool setting.  My oldest teen is studying Latin + 1 foreign language in high school and even that is overwhelming.  I tried to talk her into dropping the 2nd language several times, because she is not reaching the same level of fluency that I reached in high school with just 1 language.  

A lot of the items on the booklist are very expensive.  We dropped MCT's LA at one point, because we could no longer afford it.  The books about different religions are very expensive.  I clicked on the amazon link for one of them and it was $45.  

American Politics Today is 800 pages.  I would have to threaten my teens with horrible punishments to get them to read that.   :tongue_smilie: There would be a massive mutiny.  I'm pretty sure Distant Mirror is a college text, which is fine for some kids, but some might have a hard time with it.

This curriculum looks like something that's so much easier to pull off in a mini-private school or a co-op setting - which actually explains where they're coming from (a co-op).

I'm not trying to be mean or rip their blog apart, I've just seen new homeschooling parents IRL buy curriculum and then just throw it at the kids, expecting them to do it...and then get upset when the kid can't do it.  I've witnessed that firsthand here...   :glare:  (And I'm not saying you would do that)

If you want to know what I do like:

• the literature lists are great - I even like the Free Reading lists
  • I love the living math book selection (I'm a sucker for living math books)
  • Art/Music appreciation - Yep, Wonderful!
  • Handiwork, life skills, PE - Yay!  Those are very important.
  • Their blog seems to be really well put-together.  The more blogs like this out in the homeschooling world, the better.

And if your kids are really wanting to do this curriculum for high school, I say, "Go for it!!"  I'm sure this curriculum is a great fit for some kids.  And I'm sure their co-op is wonderful.  They obviously put a lot of work into it.

I think you are dead on. I just looked up a couple of books and the ones I checked out weren't reviewed well or adults were saying it was the most boring book ever, no thanks. MCT & AoPS are geared for certain kinds of students, I've used some of both here but I think that is a pretty small market. When you take so much away the question becomes what's left. But they will probably feel the market for some and will have bits and pieces the rest of us might find useful. I like some aspects of CM but the little bits of a million things doesn't work for us, it is all too much. But I probably don't belong here we do such a hodge podge of everything, whatever works is our motto, so it is different for all of my kids. I prefer simplicity though and if I can't even figure out what they are talking about I'm not all that inspired. I will be waiting to see what they do for middle grades science, the upper grades just seems like way too much and booklists are easy to come by.

• Like 1

We basically did BFSU this way, using the book recs at the end of each chapter. We'd read the book, try the demonstrations, go for nature walks.

It was great for this pathetic-science-background mother!

• Like 1

We basically did BFSU this way, using the book recs at the end of each chapter. We'd read the book, try the demonstrations, go for nature walks.

It was great for this pathetic-science-background mother!

Which is a valid point. Mothers are born persons too.  ;)

Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. BFSU might not be ideal in general, but it might be pretty darn close to ideal in some homes. 

Although it's obviously not my first (or second or third  ;) ) choice, if BFSU is what it takes for the mother to feel like she can properly engage and model excitement for learning, so be it. Whatever it takes. 

(For the record, I still don't like the recommendation as a first choice.  ;) )

LMD, so glad you found something that worked for your family. Thanks for adding your perspective.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Year 8 outline is up :)

https://ursaminorlearning.com/year-8/

I have an 8th grader this year, I'm looking through to see what bits I might incorporate for the rest of the year.

I was really hoping Y6 would be up before our next term starts after the holidays. It doesn't appear so. Patience is not my biggest virtue lol. I'll probably look at starting my oldest in Y7 next fall.

• Like 1

I am so glad to see this resource -- thank you, OP! 

What a refreshing curriculum.  Overall, it makes so much sense to me and reflects many of the values I've had trouble placing in one curriculum: many great books, really strong science and math, art & music & handworks and a thorough focus on character development. 

There are a couple of things I noticed, and am grateful for perspectives:

Looking around, they seem to go from Y8 Ancient Cultures (Greece, Rome, Africa) and then Y9 Charlemagne - Reconquista and Y10 1492 - 1800.  That does seem like a very brief coverage of the Middle Ages.  Do y'all have any thoughts?  I might be tempted to pull the Ancients down toward Y7 (though the resources may not be accessible at that age) to open space for the Middle Ages across cultures and for a thorough treatment of the Crusades. 

Also, I'm having trouble understanding the science rotation.  There seems to be way too much science scheduled for Y9, I've e-mailed them and am waiting for a reply.  Meanwhile, I'm wondering if y'all have a sense for what is intended -- it looks like OpenCourseWare Biology, Chemistry and Physics are spread through years 9-11? 

I do wonder what Y7 will be.  I imagine American History might cover the age of exploration, and maybe pre-Columbian Americas; my older child would be either Y6 or Y7.   

Re: science rotation, it is common in some countries to have multiple science streams studied concurrently, rather than one science class each year as is common in the US.

This seems to be the sort of plan that is outlined. It is a STEM heavy and accelerated program.

• Like 1

Re: science rotation, it is common in some countries to have multiple science streams studied concurrently, rather than one science class each year as is common in the US.

This seems to be the sort of plan that is outlined. It is a STEM heavy and accelerated program.

Yes, the multiple streams is good; it was just hard for me to figure out: in Y9, it seemed as though all of Biology was meant (across 3 terms) AND all of Chemistry in one term, and I think that would be just too much for 9th grade.   But then, looking at later years that listed the same courses, I thought maybe one is only meant to do a bit each year.  I do wish the plans specified which portion is intended for each year, but imagine that will come out with the weekly schedules. 

I was really hoping Y6 would be up before our next term starts after the holidays. It doesn't appear so. Patience is not my biggest virtue lol. I'll probably look at starting my oldest in Y7 next fall.

Me too, I have students in gr 5 & 7 in Jan and I was hoping middle school would be ready. Oh well, I am just thankful for the hard work the ursaminor folks are putting in!

• Like 2

A question:  I saw living math books mentioned upthread, but am missing them on the Ursa Minor curriculum pages.  It is one of the main things I'd been thinking I'd need to add.  If you see living math books could you tell me where?  (or is it just the AoPS books?) 

I myself am sort of happy about the AoPS calc in 11th, because I'd been hoping to do that here so that the last year of math at home could open up a bit according to the student's interests (maybe linear algebra, or statistics -- which seems STEM-worthy to DH and I -- or a thorough review like Courant's "What is Mathematics").  It is a very ambitious default plan, though.  We'll have to see. 

Edited by serendipitous journey