Menu

Resume help

MEmama

I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find what I'm looking for using the search.

I'm trying to put together a general resume for a part time position, but I have been out of the work environment for 15 years. Is it okay to put current volunteer work (I am on our library friends board) as long as it's clearly stated as volunteer? My professional references will be coming from that position, primarily.

Other than in a cover letter (not always possible when applying using online forms), how does one address homeschooling for so long?

You could put both the volunteer work and the homeschooling on your resume and explain what your responsibilities were and what skills you gained that are relevant to your position. You did not sit on your sofa eating bonbons; you acquired and developed valuable skills that employers can appreciate. I would treat homeschooling exactly like I would a paid job.

"Academic director of xyz homeschool 200X-present:

responsible for curriculum selection

direct teaching of xyz subjects to N students grades 1 through 12

supervised independent academic work

administered testing

organized and taught coop classes in xyz subject

organized weekly meetings of homeschool group (40 families)

specialized in remedial techniques for XYZ Learning Disabilities

guidance counselor for N high school students

college preparation and application counseling..."

whatever applies to your homeschool.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 4

You could put both the volunteer work and the homeschooling on your resume and explain what your responsibilities were and what skills you gained that are relevant to your position. You did not sit on your sofa eating bonbons; you acquired and developed valuable skills that employers can appreciate. I would treat homeschooling exactly like I would a paid job.

"Academic director of xyz homeschool 200X-present:

responsible for curriculum selection

direct teaching of xyz subjects to N students grades 1 through 12

supervised independent academic work

administered testing

organized and taught coop classes in xyz subject

organized weekly meetings of homeschool group (40 families)

specialized in remedial techniques for XYZ Learning Disabilities

guidance counselor for N high school students

college preparation and application counseling..."

whatever applies to your homeschool.

Thanks.

I am concerned that homeschooling doesn't look legitimate, or might be a loaded concept, in a professional setting. When I worked in HR I would occasionally get resumes on which applicants attempted to gussy up being a SAHM, and honestly, I immediately threw those on the reject pile. So if I include "home educator", I very much want to avoid the appearance of justifying all those years of enjoying my kid. :)

I would be less concerned if I was applying for an education based job, but neither are.

Definitely put your volunteer work on your resume. You could also just make a small listing with your homeschooling years (I wouldn’t try to gussy it up), or a small statement in your cover letter. It just explains your employment gap. For the years I was a SAHM, I just had one sentence in my cover letter that stated I took time off from employment to raise my family. I got interviews and job offers; no one ever mentioned it.

• Like 1

I've recently applied for some part time jobs after a gap in working for 4 years during which time I was homeschooling full time and volunteering.  Out of the 5 applications I sent out I got offered 3 interviews, accepted 2 of those (the other one came just after I accepted a position) and was offered the position for both those at which I interviewed.

Here's how my resume played out:

I didn't include homeschooling my kids as part of my work experience, although I did include use the cover letter to explain the gap in my work history.  Fortunately, I always had the option of including a cover letter.

I did include my volunteer experience because the things I was doing at these positions was relevant to the positions to which I was applying. 

For example, for one volunteer position, I had experience with grant writing, doing taxes for a non profit and being in charge of finances for the same non profit.

For another position, I created and edited newsletters including content using both MailChimp and other newsletter software, updated a website and answered emails on a variety of sensitive topics from people in a timely fashion.

As someone who used to read resumes and hire for administration positions at a large institution on a regular basis, I would not immediately toss a resume on the 'no' pile if it included the HS as part of work experience, but I would probably want to see other things that might offer more in the way of potential references (hard to call your kids and ask them if you were organized/efficient/worked well with others etc).

• Like 2

I have had a few sessions with a career counselor working on my resume.  I haven't worked in 20 years.

I did a functional resume that listed experience first.  That included volunteer work, tasks related to homeschooling, and previous actual work experience with no dates attached.  The HS section looks a lot like Regentrude's list though I didn't use titles such as guidance counselor; I view that as a professional title and not one I can claim.  

Under current/recent experience, I listed my volunteer gig, and the homeschooling, with dates.

Then after that, I had a section for previous employment, list companies and job titles, no dates.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...