Menu

PA people, I need help!

I posted before, though I can't find it, looking for help finding my school district.  I did.  I hand carried my form to the school district and made them write me a receipt.  They want a copy of my kids' immunization records.  To be fair, they asked awhile ago and the message got erased so I no longer had the woman's name and then it slipped my mind.  Today I received another call.  I assumed it was about the immunizations, which was the first part of it.  However, and this is where I need help, they want a record of my oldest's education to this point.  Can they require that?  What would it even be?  My children have never been in an American school system.  We just moved PA and where we were before had zero requirements.  None.  The school didn't even know my kids existed.  

I posted before, though I can't find it, looking for help finding my school district. I did. I hand carried my form to the school district and made them write me a receipt. They want a copy of my kids' immunization records. To be fair, they asked awhile ago and the message got erased so I no longer had the woman's name and then it slipped my mind. Today I received another call. I assumed it was about the immunizations, which was the first part of it. However, and this is where I need help, they want a record of my oldest's education to this point. Can they require that? What would it even be? My children have never been in an American school system. We just moved PA and where we were before had zero requirements. None. The school didn't even know my kids existed.

I have no idea about the prior record request. I'd review the law and see what the law says.

As far as the immunization record request, a friend contacted HSLDA last year about this and she was advised to supply the record, or religious objection, IF asked, as that was their interpretation of the law.

I can't say all school districts are reasonable, but I know mine is.  With your background I'd be calling the school and asking to speak in person with whoever you need to talk to.  I'd explain your background (not in any system), and see what they wanted.  In PA, it's typical for kids to get tested in 3rd, 5th, 8th, and Keystone Tests in high school.  Homeschoolers do not need the Keystone tests, but some opt to take them anyway (at least in our district they do - helps with college apps).  According to your sig, your oldest is past the 3rd grade testing year, but you weren't here so should be exempt.  They'll probably want a 5th grade test at some point, but that can be toward the end of the school year.  If you're willing to work with them, chances are very good that they'll also be willing to work with you.

Things like this happen when kids move into a district - even from b&m schools (courses don't align or similar).  They'll have some sort of work around.  At this point they just assume you're like anyone else moving into the district.  They need to be notified that yours is a special situation.  ;)

If you talk with them and whatever they are asking for is incredibly unreasonable, at that point I'd start seeing what is legal vs not and what you can do about it.  Otherwise, they just want to make sure your kids are getting an education - something needed because unfortunately not all parents really are educating their kids.  They just claim to be.  For those of us who are homeschooling, it's more or less a formality.

I posted before, though I can't find it, looking for help finding my school district.  I did.  I hand carried my form to the school district and made them write me a receipt.  They want a copy of my kids' immunization records.  To be fair, they asked awhile ago and the message got erased so I no longer had the woman's name and then it slipped my mind.  Today I received another call.  I assumed it was about the immunizations, which was the first part of it.  However, and this is where I need help, they want a record of my oldest's education to this point.  Can they require that?  What would it even be?  My children have never been in an American school system.  We just moved PA and where we were before had zero requirements.  None.  The school didn't even know my kids existed.

There is nothing in the law requiring you to provide any prior educational records. Not even for high school.

Your 12th grade EVALUATOR can require transcripts (your own are fine) for previous high school work in order to sign the state diploma form

This is all assuming you're homeschooling, not cyber schooling or private tutoring. All you need to begin are affidavit and objectives. Portfolio at the end of the year is only seen by the evaluator who will provide an evaluation report which you would send to the school district

Standardized tests are required in grades 3,5, and 8- only your evaluator sees the results, there should be a place on the evaluation report checked off saying the results were included in the portfolio.

If the school,district believes you are out of compliance, there is a procedure they have to follow. Calling and asking for stuff (whether or not it is required by law) is NOT part of the procedure.

Click around here- VERY thorough and concise explanations. https://phea.net/pahomeeducationlaw/

• Like 2

Rebel is spot on.

The immunizations are a grey area, even with hslda. I provide a copy of them to our district but all other medical/dental/vision information is not shared with them. I just make sure that I have a statement that its all completed and records are kept on file. Many file an exemption with the school because they don't want to share the records, but it's advised against because if we all are filing exemptions they will find a way to eliminate them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all.  I left her a message asking for her to email me what she believed I needed to provide so I would have a written record of what was requested.  I received the email which included a request for birth dates and immunizations.  There was no mention of the past education of the oldest.  I sent the information though I have no received any confirmation that she received it.  

Is there any reason I should take further action?

Thank you all. I left her a message asking for her to email me what she believed I needed to provide so I would have a written record of what was requested. I received the email which included a request for birth dates and immunizations. There was no mention of the past education of the oldest. I sent the information though I have no received any confirmation that she received it.

I would not give them any more than they've asked for in the email.

I've never heard of there being a need to show past education when you first arrive in PA. If they say they need that, then ask for where it is required in the law. Don't ask in a combative way, but do ask, because I haven't read that anywhere.

My thoughts are that we should pleasantly and prompty fulfill the state law for homeschooling but not an inch more than what is required.

Thank you all.  I left her a message asking for her to email me what she believed I needed to provide so I would have a written record of what was requested.  I received the email which included a request for birth dates and immunizations.  There was no mention of the past education of the oldest.  I sent the information though I have no received any confirmation that she received it.  

I don't think you need to do anything more.  She asked for what she needed.  You provided it.  If they need anything else (or claim not to have received what you've sent), they'll contact you and you can resend or whatever.

I suspect whoever is on the other end is just filling in data sheets (on computer) and doesn't need anything more - just the basics.