Menu

Online counseling?

Moxie

From a counselor's point of view, I'd look at American Well. I'm not a counselor myself, but I've been assisting our counselors in getting credentialed there and they are more stringent than the insurance companies we work with. We just got one fully up and running with them - it's taken about 8 weeks. She is already licensed and credentialed with all the insurance companies in VT and has had her license for 10 years. American Well assigned her a mentor, an on ramp group to work with and it's been quite a process getting up and running. 

As a client, I'd feel very good about the steps they take to ensure qualified counselors. They also work with a number of insurance companies, so you may only have to pay your normal copay. 

American Well was mentioned in post #4.  I know a little about them, because I sent a resume, for their occasional need for temporary people to do QA Testing for them. End User testing.  My understanding at that time, from looking at their web site, was that their clients are Providers, and that if a Provider wants to provide services to a Patient, they can do so through American Well. I doubt that a patient can go directly to American Well and look for a doctor.

To get back on topic. I believe there are Psychologists, for example, with lots of experience and expertise, who also do Online Counseling now. I think (but am not sure) that the Ph.D. Psychologist I went to, for P.T.S.D. does some of that now.

As with any kind of counseling, I believe it is critical the patient and the provider have excellent rapport. If not, it is a complete waste of time and money.

• Like 1

American Well was mentioned in post #4.  I know a little about them, because I sent a resume, for their occasional need for temporary people to do QA Testing for them. End User testing.  My understanding at that time, from looking at their web site, was that their clients are Providers, and that if a Provider wants to provide services to a Patient, they can do so through American Well. I doubt that a patient can go directly to American Well and look for a doctor.

To get back on topic. I believe there are Psychologists, for example, with lots of experience and expertise, who also do Online Counseling now. I think (but am not sure) that the Ph.D. Psychologist I went to, for P.T.S.D. does some of that now.

As with any kind of counseling, I believe it is critical the patient and the provider have excellent rapport. If not, it is a complete waste of time and money.

You can find a therapist on Amwell.com now. I've gotten lots of correspondence through BCBS (as a subscriber) letting me know that I can sign up with Amwell anytime and BCBS will cover visits. 

I had a (much older) friend in another state who became a counselor (masters, 5000 hours of training etc) and talked with her about Skype counseling when I was going through a rough patch. It was really helpful to me. She gave me a fair amount of homework, which I found really useful.

Emily