Menu

Argh! Elections again!!!!

Ok, so Canadians just got a new government, and still got bombarded with US election news. We had to deal with two concurrent elections for a while. And what does my provincial government decide to do today? Less than 24 hours after the end of the US elections? yup, you guessed it. They called a provincial election for Dec 8th!

I'm looking at yet another month of political articles in the papers. ARGH!!! :willy_nilly: :ack2: :cursing: :banghead:

Please be patient with me. I know this may show my ignorance and open the door for some..."enlightenment", but it's amazing to me how the entire world is watching our election. Why don't we in America care about Canada's elections or anyone else's to the same degree?

Please be patient with me. I know this may show my ignorance and open the door for some..."enlightenment", but it's amazing to me how the entire world is watching our election. Why don't we in America care about Canada's elections or anyone else's to the same degree?

I've read a few articles this morning on reaction around the world to this election. It's fascinating that in places like Japan, Kenya, Australia and Brazil people are so interested in our election. Since America is so influential, I guess people would be interested but I didn't realize to what extent. The Kenyan president declared Thursday a national holiday to celebrate Obama's election. I didn't know so many non-Americans cared *that* much! :001_smile:

Sorry, Cleo! Don't you have regular elections there? How does a government call for an election? I'd hate not knowing when one was going to sneak up on me. :001_smile:

I'm Canadian too, and our city is in the middle of a municipal election. The Canadian federal election hadn't even ended when the municipal signs began to appear around town.

As for why the world watches the US election, I can only speak for myself as a Canadian.

• Our economy is closely linked to the US economy, or at least it is strongly influenced by the US economy. We compare our dollar to yours, you are a trade partner, and our stock market fell right along with yours.
  • Our population is quite small compared to the US population (I believe the population of Canada is less than the population of California), so we aren't really large enough to not be effected by living next door to a "super power".
  • On a more practical note, we watch all of your TV channels, so we get the commercials, the news coverage, and the regular TV shows are canceled when the election coverage is on, so it's either watch that or watch low budget Canadian movies :tongue_smilie:

Lori - who is not a politician or an economist.

Is this like a US runoff? We are having a few local ones here. The fun just never ends.:glare:

Ok, so Canadians just got a new government, and still got bombarded with US election news. We had to deal with two concurrent elections for a while. And what does my provincial government decide to do today? Less than 24 hours after the end of the US elections? yup, you guessed it. They called a provincial election for Dec 8th!

I'm looking at yet another month of political articles in the papers. ARGH!!! :willy_nilly: :ack2: :cursing: :banghead:

Wow, seriously????? Must watch Peter Mansbridge tonight.

Today?? It was today?? How could I not have know that?

Oh Sarah... we are both very naughty citizens :D

Lori

Ok, now I feel really dumb. Advance voting was today. Apparently the actual election date is November 15. So, we've got lots of time. :confused:

Apparently I'm clueless.

And now everyone knows it :tongue_smilie: