Menu

Starting LOE Foundations at 7 years old

poppy

I'm homeschooling my 7 year old this year.  He went to public school K-1. 

He is advanced in math and a very sharp cookie. But he's not reading yet - he can do early readers but not simple chapter books. His sister was diagnosed with dyslexia. It  looks like I'll need to do explicit multisensory phonics with him.

LOE says I can pick Foundations or Essentials for his age, and I want to do Foundations because it looks more fun and it looks more appropriate for a struggling reader.
LOE says start with B because it is foundational.  And C + D is a complete 2nd grade curriculum for kids up to age 8.

My question is, can I do B, C and D in one (or maybe 1.5) years?

It is a pricey curriculum and I am nervous to pull the trigger on B-D ($300!) if he'll take 3 years to do it and will find it babyish  by the time he's 9-10.

) if he'll take 3 years to do it and will find it babyish  by the time he's 9-10.

If it is babyish in a few years, you can write the words on a whiteboard or do them with non babyish letter tiles.  

What did you use with his sister?  Alternatively, you could get Recipe for Reading for the easy stuff and a later level of LOE, it is currently $20, use from whiteboard.

https://www.amazon.com/Recipe-Reading-Revised-Expanded-Traub/dp/0838805051/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1505759502&sr=8-1&keywords=recipe+for+reading

I have ideas on how to make phonics fun in a recent YouTube video, you could use something cheaper or whatever you have on hand and try some of those ideas and ask here and on the special needs board for ideas to make OG phonics fun.

B and C you could get done in a year. I think it would take longer to do D too. May a year and a half if you worked steadily to finish all three levels at that age. Maybe you would be done sooner but D took us longer than the other levels. I just finished up D and started essentials with my son. I would say start with foundations (essentials seems like a big step up to me). I don't think your son would consider D too babyish even in a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pulled the trigger, thanks everyone.   I am figuring I might be able to get away with just B&C, then move to Essentials (if necessary). Or do D if he loves it.  Sounds worth it to me.

I know there are viable, less expensive options but the  open-and-go lesson plans and playfulness / games makes this very appealing to me.

• Like 1

I pulled the trigger, thanks everyone. I am figuring I might be able to get away with just B&C, then move to Essentials (if necessary). Or do D if he loves it. Sounds worth it to me.

I know there are viable, less expensive options but the open-and-go lesson plans and playfulness / games makes this very appealing to me.

Look on the bright side, it is a bargain compared to Barton!! Expensive compared to PP or the cheapest OG, Recipe for Reading. Inexpensive compared to Barton, Wilson, Stevenson. Edited by ElizabethB

I started with A when my youngest two were 5 and 7. The 7yo was really struggling with reading and I knew it would be a good fit for my active 5yo. We're halfway through D now and they're 10 and nearly 8. It's been great. They don't find it babyish. The readers for C and D especially are great for older kids. We'll be continuing with Essentials.

• Like 2

My dyslexic son used Wilson with a tutor 2.5 hours per week for 5 years beginning in the 2nd grade. I used LOE Foundations with my NT DD. LOE Level D was not neccessary for her as she could read all the level D books at a high fluency rate with zero mistakes prior to starting D. She jumped almost immediately into the Dragonet series. Anyhoo...

LOE left me feeling deeply unsatisfied because I had to modify it so much. It was expensive and based upon an encoding to read program. I applied methods with LOE that were based upon my son's Wilson experience. Personally, I don't believe LOE provides enough supports for a dyslexic reader. I sought additional basal readers so that my DD could practice fluency. If I were to purposefully use LOE with a dyslexic, I would absolutely not skip Level A.

Your child may not be ready for any reading program. Barton Reading and Spelling provides a pretest that I strongly urge you give to your DS.

I also suggest you start saving money for np testing. Maybe call around and discover whether there is a Scottish Rite Learning Center nearby as they dyslexia test for free or low cost. Use that info to seek a free BookShare.org account.

Lastly, I urge you to work at your son's pace. Take as long as he needs to master the phonics and decoding. If you haven't done so already, start using audio books. With appropriate instruction, these kiddos will make a reading leap around 4th/5th grades.