Menu

Sewing Machine for Beginner

MamaBearTeacher

I am learning to sew and have never used a machine before.  I am looking at the Singer Tradition 2259 and the Singer Simple 3337.  

The Singer Tradition is bigger-looking.  Does that make a difference?  The Singer Simple has nice feature like automatic threading and an LED light but it has more bad reviews on Amazon.  

Are these good enough for a beginner or will they break easily?  A somewhat experienced sewer told me not to spend more than $400-$500 which surprised me because I saw these machines for about $100.  

Another consideration is to think about what you are going to be doing on it.

Are you going to be sewing quilts? Are you on a first name basis with a long arm quilter? If not you might need a bigger throat on your machine to machine quilt.

Are you a clothing sewer? If so you might look at the free arm and the size of it. You might also want to look more at the price and get the best cheap machine you can so you can also get a serger (so you can sew knits). 

Or are you both?

I am personally both. I have a $150 Brother machine. It has been good. I have had it for about 10 years. I have never used about 30 stitches on it. It makes a funny noise every now and then but it works. I know one day I will have to replace it. I am hoping to get another machine that would have a bigger throat. I have made countless things on it. Seriously I sew in batches and I normally sew at least 3-8 items at a time, several times a year. I also have a brother 1040D serger ($200 machine, it is everywhere on Youtube). I haven't had any problem with that either. I have made everything from cloth fitted diapers to yesterday I made a fleece sweater on it. 

You don't need to spend a ton to get a machine to learn on. However, the better machines make your life easier. So it is a trade off. 

• Like 1

I have a Brother SE 400. It cost a little more because it's an embroidery machine too. I had absolutely no idea how to sew or embroider when I purchased it (seriously, I didn't even know what a bobbin was). I have to say, it is amazing. It's self threading like the Singer you mentioned. Now, I can't compare my machine to a Singer because I've never sewn on anything else. I just wanted to say I've had my machine for a few years and love it. It is SO easy to use & well worth the investment. Just do your research, read reviews, and shop for the best price (my machine fluctuated in price greatly). If you aren't opposed to Brother, I highly recommend their machines. I have been so very happy with mine and have used it to make countless things (baby gifts, clothes, curtains, table runners, Christmas stockings.... the list is really endless). I think I sew well because my machine makes it that easy! Have fun!

ETA- You can see my machine on amazon... it's about $300. You can buy a cheaper version without the embroidery arm.

Edited by mytwomonkeys
  • Like 1

Your money would be better spent on an older, solid machine from a sewing machine repair shop. Modern Singers are not well made, are clunky, and are not enjoyable to sew on. I'd look for an old mechanical Bernina, Viking, Husqvarna, Necchi, or much older Singer.

I have an older Singer, a Featherweight. It looks pretty much like this and works perfectly. It's sturdy metal, but light and compact. I love it. For a while I had another Singer -- Touch and Sew, I think. Ugh, heavy, big, ugly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Singer-221-Featherweight-Sewing-Machine-/311960801374?epid=72117080&hash=item48a250105e:g:Xh8AAOSwqz9ZvArT

I will not be quilting at all. Curtains, cushion covers, table cloths, cloth bags, hemming pants, dresses and other small alterations. Maybe sewing zippers on.

And all of this only if I can find time.

That's exactly the seeing I do. Anything in more or less a straight line. I could never seem to fit clothing correctly. As for hems, I don't think the old Singer has a hemming stitch -- or at least I have not found it. So I hem by hand.

Some of the stores I know -- like Joann's -- have sewing classes, so you could try out a machine that way, couldnt you?

ETA

Beginner to beginner. Be sure to pick up some books on how to sew pillows, etc. I would have sewn them with right angles corners, but it turns out that is completely wrong. I was glad I followed the book!

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

I used to make costumes and I quilt. I do straight line quilting, so I can manage with a regular machine.

So here's the issue, how much will a repair cost you? Many mid range and higher end machines require the owner to pay for an annual maintenance tune up at a sew and vac place to keep the warranty valid. That can cost around $75 a year. Depending on the repair, it can be high or low if it's not under warranty. 

If you buy cheaper beginner model like a $80 Brother machine (this one now comes with a DVD) at Amazon and get several years out of it like we do, you can replace the whole thing for under $100 if something breaks.  It's cheaper in the long run.  That's for a beginner machine that just does the basics, which was all my kids needed to see if they liked sewing. A seamstress friend of mine buys the same one for her kids.

I have a basic machine from the 1960s with all metal parts that I got used at a sew and vac store because I didn't want to pay for repairs and I already know I'll use it a lot.  It's really heavy but that sucker is solid! I haven't needed any repairs yet. I used to have a Singer feather weight and I hated it!  Getting that stinking bobbin in left handed and on the side was a couple of years of frustration.

There are 4 people in my sewing circle with much more sophisticated, modern machines and none of them sew as much as I do. They have all had repair issues because plastic pieces break. 

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ
  • Like 1

There is no way I have time for an annual maintenance or repair. I don't really have time for a hobby at all. If I have to repair it I will probably throw it out and forget sewing.

I used to make costumes and I quilt. I do straight line quilting, so I can manage with a regular machine.

So here's the issue, how much will a repair cost you? Many mid range and higher end machines require the owner to pay for an annual maintenance tune up at a sew and vac place to keep the warranty valid. That can cost around $75 a year. Depending on the repair, it can be high or low if it's not under warranty.

If you buy cheaper beginner model like a $80 Brother machine (this one now comes with a DVD) at Amazon and get several years out of it like we do, you can replace the whole thing for under $100 if something breaks. It's cheaper in the long run. That's for a beginner machine that just does the basics, which was all my kids needed to see if they liked sewing. A seamstress friend of mine buys the same one for her kids.

I have a basic machine from the 1960s with all metal parts that I got used at a sew and vac store because I didn't want to pay for repairs and I already know I'll use it a lot. It's really heavy but that sucker is solid! I haven't needed any repairs yet. I used to have a Singer feather weight and I hated it! Getting that stinking bobbin in left handed and on the side was a couple of years of frustration.

There are 4 people in my sewing circle with much more sophisticated, modern machines and none of them sew as much as I do. They have all had repair issues because plastic

I found a cheaper machine very frustrating to sew on it, like every time I used it I ended up just giving up because something always went wrong with the machine. I bought a Janome Magnolia machine several years ago (I bought the computerized one, so it was a bit more, less than $500) and it changed sewing for me. I became a better sewer because I wasn't always trouble shooting every time I sewed. It made sewing so much more enjoyable for me. I rarely have issues like I did with my cheaper machine and if I do, they are easy to correct and carry on, not the case with my cheaper machine.  

• Like 2

Amazon.com: janome sewing machine - Sewing: Arts, Crafts & Sewing Janome makes some sewing machines that are fine at that pricepoint. What you want:

-smooth start/acceleration, not rumbling and grumbling

-turtle speed (1/2 speed)

-drop in bobbin

The Janome Gem Gold is one our local quilt shop sells. It's $240 on amazon, but obviously look around. It's just a nice machine. You don't want to go with a walmart-type machine in that $80 price range. They rumble and grumble, accelerate with jerking, and the stitches are not as even. 

It's true that if you want to go with an older machine, you get get something like a Bernina or Viking that is still under warranty, even at 20 years old, and the thing will be built like a tank. I have some machines like that in my house right now. I had warrantied repair on a 20 year old Bernina, and I think that machine probably would go for around $500 right now. Seriously nice machine, very straight stitches.

If the machine isn't one you service, that means it's disposable, hello. Besides, service is because you've used it enough that it's time. It's not like eggs that expire. If you just use it on occasion, you're not going to be in the shop for annual service.

Get a nice, simple machine that accelerates smoothly, has a drop-in bobbin, has really nice straight stitches and even tension, and is a pleasure to use. You can get that for that $200-250 pricepoint. Janome was making some of the Kenmore machines for a while, so some of those are good too. If it's a pleasure to use and just plain works, then when you sit down to work it won't be frustrating you. 

Enjoy your new hobby! :)

• Like 1

I used to say-- get an older machine... but last year I purchased my dd a Singer Confidence for her costume design class (to work on projects at home when needed).

My 2 'old faithfuls' (Elna and Bernina) need to be serviced and the cost (each!) would be more than the Singer Confidence (no such things as $75 tune up around here!).

Guess what-- the Singer Confidence 7363 has been a great little machine-- perfect stitches/tension (no need to adjust), easy to use, nice assortment of stitches... I've been very satisfied with it.  It was around $150 at JoAnns (cheaper than Amazon).

• Like 2

I'm another who used to say get an older machine but I think there are some good entry level machines out there. Especially for someone new to the hobby- you might not know how much you will really sew.  If you buy a cheaper machine and later find out it's totally your thing, you can always save for a more glitzy machine later. If you find out you're not going to sew several times a week, the more inexpensive machine might be a perfect fit. My cheap Brother worked for me for more than a decade!

• Like 1