Menu

W

Enjoyinglife365

Drop it. Pronto. I tried to stick out an online French CC class taught by a German speaker, and it was awful. Totally awful. So much stress, screwed my GPA, just so horrible.

Go to the registrar and beg to get into another class to keep FT. There's sometimes a few classes that start later for some reason, and maybe you can squeeze into  one of those.

If FL is required and there's no other option, do talk to the department head. Even if they defend the teacher (it's possibie, btdt), they should tell you if there's an alternate method of meeting the requirement.

I'd contact the dean for sure. I've been a community college professor for nearly 20 years and know of several situations where a professor was pulled at some point in the semester for incompetence.

However, do you have an alternative? Could you do a different language?

I'd be in the Deans office ASAP and seeing what their suggestion is.  If that got nowhere, I'd continue to follow the chain of command higher.

It's very possible whoever did the hiring was snowed into thinking this person was qualified.  Of course, the other possibility is they didn't have anyone else willing to do the job for the low pay they offer.  If that's the situation, you'll need to take it higher (perhaps to your state level), but give the local folks in charge a chance.

There's no way I'd stay in the class or drop it and say nothing letting the others think they're getting a college level class.

Bring it up with the head of the academic department.

The syllabus should have clear information about the "chain of command" and tell students whom to talk to in case they have complaints about the instructor.

If the department head is not willing to address the issue, go to the next higher level. This is completely unacceptable.

ETA: Is it still possible to add a class? In that case, I would drop and add a different class. If the add period is over, don't drop because of FT status, but look for opportunities to self study or get help online to compensate for the instructor's incompetence, and hope they change personel.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Why are they using those videos by an inexperienced instructor!  

With online, the community college should probably purchase the instructional videos from a third party.  

==========================================================================

It is similar to watching a DO math sample video versus some Joe high school math teacher on youtube.

Accuracy and quality of the presentation count a lot.

The German 1 class is online at our community college. The videos made by the teacher are grossly incorrect. Sentence structure and pronunciation are flat out wrong. The instructor is clearly not qualified and it seems like he is getting the sentences from some type of translation software that is translating literally.  This is a high unit class and dropping it would cause the loss of full-time status. The students will not be prepared for German 2, and many universities require 2 semesters of the same foreign language. I don’t know if it will do any good to bring this to the attention of the college, but these students will not be prepared to move on.   I don’t know what the college could do to correct the problem; this is 2 weeks into the semester.  Any thoughts?

I would try to complete this requirement at the same CC - at least all in the same boat.