Menu

Don't Know Much About the Bible...feedback appreciated

I think you are saying you want opinions on a book called Don't Know Much About the Bible. Am I right? I don't know anything about this book, but it almost looks like you are saying "I don't know much about the Bible. What do you think about it?"

This is what I am thinking too. At first wasn't sure LOL, but I think this is more likely.

I think you are saying you want opinions on a book called Don't Know Much About the Bible. Am I right? I don't know anything about this book, but it almost looks like you are saying "I don't know much about the Bible. What do you think about it?"

Yes! That's what I meant! I didn't even consider that people would think I was talking about the bible and not a book about the bible.

Sorry!

I had this book, and read it when I first became a Christian. I can't comment much on it now, since I don't have it anymore and it's probably been 10 yrs since I read portions of it. I do remember that it helped me to see the Bible from different perspectives, and also revealed some of the controversies in seemingly conflicting scriptures and maybe how Christianity answered this. I think perhaps it was helpful to me as a new Christian to be aware of some of the controversies related to the Bible so I could come to terms with them over the years. I do remember it being a rather informative read.

I have this book and have dipped into it from time to time. There is some interesting factual information, but the tone of it is a bit condescending. It is definitely not a Christian book, more a book about the Christian bible written by (I suspect) a non-Christian. I feel the same way about Karen Armstrong's A History of God -- lots of information, but not necessarily from a faith-based worldview.

I am about halfway through it. Maybe all the facts are daunting to absorb that I didn't pick up any condescension. I thought it had a practical tone. Have to say my favorite part was the point about the book being a book of faith and not science; science and faith are perfectly compatible. The rest was just interesting. Like my son is always saying, "I never knew that before."

I have this book and have dipped into it from time to time. There is some interesting factual information, but the tone of it is a bit condescending. It is definitely not a Christian book, more a book about the Christian bible written by (I suspect) a non-Christian. I feel the same way about Karen Armstrong's A History of God -- lots of information, but not necessarily from a faith-based worldview.

:iagree: I bought this because I'm an info junkie and the tone was a bit off-putting, which then translated to a hesitation about objectivity and accuracy. Someone writing an "About" book on the Bible doesn't necessarily have to come from a Christian worldview, of course, but at least attempt to use a more neutral tone. lol