Menu

Intermittent Fasting?

solascriptura

From a nursing perspective (I am not a doctor and you should not take this as medical advice!), distilled water is not only a terrible idea, it may be the reason people die when fasting. Either electrolyte issues, or more likely, their blood pressure drops so low they pass out, hit their temple, and internally bleed to death. That was the reason for the last fasting death I heard about, and it's completely not ethical to insist on distilled water solely to make side effects worse and make you require supervision.

If you want to fast for up to three days, as long as you're in a climate controlled environment you should be just fine. Obviously don't get overheated, sweat out all your salt, and then suck down gallons of water - that's a recipe for water poisoning.

After three days you're going to need to be a bit concerned about electrolyte ratios, as well as your blood pressure dropping too low to be safe.  This is true even if you started with blood pressure that is too high.  This is because for most people blood pressure issues are either triggered by salt, stress, or pain from other inflammation, all of which tend to drop rapidly when you fast.

So after that most people should still be just fine, but if you're concerned you can get a home blood pressure cuff (harbor freight sells them for cheap) that will give you a rough estimate.  If you have a history of low blood pressure and know what the warning signs of fainting are, obviously watch out for them.  Take some salt - a pinch or two in your palm, swallowed down with a big glass of water should help get blood pressure back up.  You can also use something like powerade zero - no calories, but good potassium and sodium.  Technically a 50/50 mix of "Lite salt" and table salt has the same ratio of sodium to potassium as blood. You could mix a few pinches in some zero calorie sugar free flavored drink (the last time I did this I used Walmart's generic sugar & calorie free fruit punch). 

Realistically though, as long as you obey your body and not a calendar, it's probably safe and healthy to fast until you no longer feel good.  Seriously, doctors prescribe fasting ALL THE TIME in hospitals.  Most frequently for pancreatitis.  They sometimes get IV saline to stay hydrated, but aren't allowed to eat for days on end. Mostly all that happens is their vitals are taken 3 times in 24 hours to make sure they don't have blood pressure issues, and they have a big sign on their door that says (in code) they aren't allowed to eat.  In one patient I had, he was kept in the hospital fasting for 22 days, but in the end he was fine.

• Like 3

From a nursing perspective (I am not a doctor and you should not take this as medical advice!), distilled water is not only a terrible idea, it may be the reason people die when fasting. Either electrolyte issues, or more likely, their blood pressure drops so low they pass out, hit their temple, and internally bleed to death. That was the reason for the last fasting death I heard about, and it's completely not ethical to insist on distilled water solely to make side effects worse and make you require supervision.

If you want to fast for up to three days, as long as you're in a climate controlled environment you should be just fine. Obviously don't get overheated, sweat out all your salt, and then suck down gallons of water - that's a recipe for water poisoning.

After three days you're going to need to be a bit concerned about electrolyte ratios, as well as your blood pressure dropping too low to be safe. This is true even if you started with blood pressure that is too high. This is because for most people blood pressure issues are either triggered by salt, stress, or pain from other inflammation, all of which tend to drop rapidly when you fast.

So after that most people should still be just fine, but if you're concerned you can get a home blood pressure cuff (harbor freight sells them for cheap) that will give you a rough estimate. If you have a history of low blood pressure and know what the warning signs of fainting are, obviously watch out for them. Take some salt - a pinch or two in your palm, swallowed down with a big glass of water should help get blood pressure back up. You can also use something like powerade zero - no calories, but good potassium and sodium. Technically a 50/50 mix of "Lite salt" and table salt has the same ratio of sodium to potassium as blood. You could mix a few pinches in some zero calorie sugar free flavored drink (the last time I did this I used Walmart's generic sugar & calorie free fruit punch).

Realistically though, as long as you obey your body and not a calendar, it's probably safe and healthy to fast until you no longer feel good. Seriously, doctors prescribe fasting ALL THE TIME in hospitals. Most frequently for pancreatitis. They sometimes get IV saline to stay hydrated, but aren't allowed to eat for days on end. Mostly all that happens is their vitals are taken 3 times in 24 hours to make sure they don't have blood pressure issues, and they have a big sign on their door that says (in code) they aren't allowed to eat. In one patient I had, he was kept in the hospital fasting for 22 days, but in the end he was fine.

I am not suggesting people do distilled water fasts on their own. If not carefully monitored, they can be dangerous. However, it is what Seyfried and Longo do in their studies for particular reasons but always under close supervision in a medical setting. They are each doing outstanding research in cancer and autoimmune diseases.

Alan Goldhamer's clinic has not lost a single patient in over 30 years. He works with researchers. Patients there are monitored 24/7 by MDs and other medical staff.

Edited by MBM
  • Like 2

I've been successful in using a low carb higher fat (similar to Diet Doctor) diet.  I lost my extra weight and feel good and love the food. I'm still eating the same diet but am now on medications that cause weight gain and I'm finding that my diet is not enough. So, I've started intermittent fasting.  I've read that it is often best to "mix it up" and not have a single eating schedule that you follow all the time. So, sometimes I'll fast for 17 hours (7 pm to 12 noon, essentially just skipping breakfast), sometimes I'll fast for 24 hours (eat dinner then don't eat until dinner the next day), and sometimes I'll eat a regular breakfast-lunch-dinner schedule.

I weigh myself regularly and adjust my fasting accordingly.  Up a bit? Longer fasts over the next few days. Down nicely? Enjoy three meals a day.

I'll repeat some of what was stated earlier. Fasting will be much easier if you are already on a low carb diet.  Otherwise, with the blood sugar swings, you will feel much more hunger.  I do still sometimes get hungry but it is around the time I would normally be eating a meal. I'll have a cup of tea or coffee and once meal time is past, I'm just fine.

I have an intellectual crush on Dr. Fung. I think he is brilliant.

• Like 1

I naturally do some form of IF most mornings as I'm not generally hungry when I wake up. Usually, I am up 3-5 hrs before I eat or drink anything. Our dinner is often late (I aim for 6:30 but is 7 is most often) but I rarely snack in the evening. I will often grab a small morning or afternoon snack but not before bed. Now, all bets are off on my period, I don't really have PMS cravings but once my period starts my appetite revs up and my *need* for carbs triples!

BUT I have found at different times my body needs different things. When my sleep was all messed up from my thyroid, hormones, and a fussy baby I was hungry ALL the time. My body desperately needed energy and since it couldn't get it from sleep it had to get it through calories, especially carbs.  I operate better on lower sugar/carb intake(not going to keto levels or anything but moderately low- below 100g) but if my body is out of whack I cannot tolerate decreasing carbs without it affecting my sleep. It has been interesting to observe. After I was diagnosed with thyroid disease I read about the ill effects of low carb on the thyroid but I've been caught in a catch 22 that my glucose levels inch up when increasing carbs but I cannot sleep when decreasing. Anyway, I have just listened to my body and continued to work on getting everything lined out. If I felt bad decreasing carbs and eating windows then I increased it. I slowly noticed that my body was working better as it healed.

My last A1C was decreased(after the last baby I was pushing pre-diabetic for awhile), my hormone levels finally lined out 4+ yrs post-partum, and now I'm ever so slowly getting the thyroid where it needs to be and trying (for the love of Pete) trying to keep it where it needs to be. All that to say is that it can be complicated and I think women are prudent to go slow. I couldn't make my body tolerate the lower carbs when I was really out of whack, although that is what I needed for blood glucose issues my thyroid and hormone issues kept that from working. It has been a balancing act finding the right levels for me. What works for one doesn't for another. 

I also think for some they don't have to really think about what they eat or when they eat because their body is operating how it is supposed to operate. But that is not the case for me. I have diabetes in my family and if I try to eat anywhere close to SAD levels of carbs/sugar my bg goes nutso. I bought a BG monitor after my A1C started increasing and have watched it after various meals.

Edited by soror

I've done it my whole life by nature. It's just the way I eat. I rarely eat breakfast and don't start thinking about food until around 10:30 or 11. I eat something small but dense like an egg with cheese and a tomato and some almonds and then I really don't eat again until dinner around 3-4. I have a glass of wine every night, but no food before bed. I eat whatever I want when I'm hungry, but I try to make sure most of it is nutrient dense. I eat sweets when I crave them. Maybe 2-3 times a week. I just don't eat if I'm not actually hungry. I don't mean hungry as in it's lunchtime and I could eat. I mean Hungry.

I'm 48 and my bmi still hovers around 20.

• Like 2