Menu

If you live or have vacationed in MN...please help

Meadowlark

We are thinking of taking our big summer vacation in MN next year. ( I know-this summer isn't even over yet...bear with me)...

The problem is, it's VERY difficult to travel with a big family, but we are committed to making it happen on a yearly basis from this point on, even with a baby.

I am looking for

1. Must do attractions

2. Places to stay (houses, suites, etc for 8 people)

3. A recommended lake resort

We'd like to do a 2 part thing-4 days or so in the cities and 4 days at a lake resort enjoying water activities. Would love a place with a kid's program.

I'd appreciate any and all help! 

We'll be driving there btw...

Many years ago, my parents, siblings and nieces and nephews stayed at Blue Fin Bay resort in northern Minnesota. It was such a beautiful and relaxing trip, we all still talk about it. I would definitely go back there. There wasn't much for us to do ON the lake because it's huge and we had no boat. It looks like the ocean. But we really enjoyed walking along the beach and just spending time near it the lake. We did a lot of biking, there were also mountain slides (can't think of the exact name). The resort name is Bluefinbay dot com 

We also vacationed in Minneapolis/St Paul this summer and had a great time, though I think that's quite a ways south of the above resort. If you are interested, I can share all that we did. 

I haven't been there, but have heard Duluth is beautiful and only a few hours away from Minneapolis, so you could easily hit the two in the same trip! 

Have fun!! 

• Like 1

Blue Fin Bay is way up on the north shore past Duluth if you're willing to go that far.  It's gorgeous up that way.  We live in the cities and have regularly taken vacations in all parts of MN and WI.  Duluth area can be a nice cross between urban and outdoorsy. 

Are you looking for an urban vacation or an up north minnesota lake experience?  If you are looking for number two, I recommend checking out the Brainerd area - lots of resorts, rental cabins, etc.

http://www.explorebrainerdlakes.com/

Actually, both. We want to spend 3-4 days in the cities doing the major attractions, and then do 3-4 days at a lake resort type thing.

• Like 1

Blue Fin Bay is way up on the north shore past Duluth if you're willing to go that far.  It's gorgeous up that way.  We live in the cities and have regularly taken vacations in all parts of MN and WI.  Duluth area can be a nice cross between urban and outdoorsy. 

Not sure how far north we want to go. I was thinking no more than 2 hours from the the twin cities. What is in Duluth exactly?

We are thinking of taking our big summer vacation in MN next year. ( I know-this summer isn't even over yet...bear with me)...

The problem is, it's VERY difficult to travel with a big family, but we are committed to making it happen on a yearly basis from this point on, even with a baby.

I am looking for

1. Must do attractions

2. Places to stay (houses, suites, etc for 8 people)

3. A recommended lake resort

We'd like to do a 2 part thing-4 days or so in the cities and 4 days at a lake resort enjoying water activities. Would love a place with a kid's program.

I'd appreciate any and all help!

We'll be driving there btw...

I love Pipestone. I can send you pictures if you like from our last trip.

In the Twin Cities, I'd echo the recommendation of the Science Museum. Great fun for all ages. The Minnesota History Center, about a mile away, is also excellent for all ages. The Children's Museum, also in St. Paul, has recently been renovated and is fantastic but definitely geared towards the under-10 set. Depending on what you're looking for, I can offer other suggestions - just PM me. :)

For a getaway away from the city, I suggest going to the North Shore of Lake Superior. That starts at Duluth, about 2 hours north of St. Paul. In Duluth, you can watch ships come in and go out of the harbor, there is a maritime museum, a great sand beach on Lake Superior at Park Point, etc. As you drive north from Duluth along the lake, there are a plethora of resorts that might fit your needs as well as state parks with great hiking and lake viewing (and even places for the kids to wade and/or play in the tide pools) One of our favorites is Gooseberry Falls State Park about 30 miles north of Duluth. Others include Tettegouche State Park, Split Rock Lighthouse State Park and Temperance River State Park. We like to drive along the lake as far as Lutsen (about 2 hours north of Duluth) and stay at Caribou Highlands Resort. It's just off the lake on Lutsen Mountain (a ski hill.) I'd categorize Caribou Highlands as fairly affordable with a variety of lodging options - hotel rooms, townhouses, condos, etc. There is a children's nature-based day camp program and scheduled activities for all ages (mountain biking, canoeing, s'mores every evening, family bingo nights, etc). There are both indoor and outdoor pools, a sauna, hot tub and a restaurant on-site. The condos and townhouses have kitchens. Nearby is an alpine slide and a gondola as well as lots of hiking. If you're looking for more expensive options, look at Grand Superior Resort or Lutsen Resort. From this area, you can also access fishing trips on Lake Superior as well as a variety of other activities. 

Edited by insertcreativenamehere
  • Like 2

In the Twin Cities, I'd echo the recommendation of the Science Museum. Great fun for all ages. The Minnesota History Center, about a mile away, is also excellent for all ages. The Children's Museum, also in St. Paul, has recently been renovated and is fantastic but definitely geared towards the under-10 set. Depending on what you're looking for, I can offer other suggestions - just PM me. :)

For a getaway away from the city, I suggest going to the North Shore of Lake Superior. That starts at Duluth, about 2 hours north of St. Paul. In Duluth, you can watch ships come in and go out of the harbor, there is a maritime museum, a great sand beach on Lake Superior at Park Point, etc. As you drive north from Duluth along the lake, there are a plethora of resorts that might fit your needs as well as state parks with great hiking and lake viewing (and even places for the kids to wade and/or play in the tide pools) One of our favorites is Gooseberry Falls State Park about 30 miles north of Duluth. Others include Tettegouche State Park, Split Rock Lighthouse State Park and Temperance River State Park. We like to drive along the lake as far as Lutsen (about 2 hours north of Duluth) and stay at Caribou Highlands Resort. It's just off the lake on Lutsen Mountain (a ski hill.) I'd categorize Caribou Highlands as fairly affordable with a variety of lodging options - hotel rooms, townhouses, condos, etc. There is a children's nature-based day camp program and scheduled activities for all ages (mountain biking, canoeing, s'mores every evening, family bingo nights, etc). There are both indoor and outdoor pools, a sauna, hot tub and a restaurant on-site. The condos and townhouses have kitchens. Nearby is an alpine slide and a gondola as well as lots of hiking. If you're looking for more expensive options, look at Grand Superior Resort or Lutsen Resort. From this area, you can also access fishing trips on Lake Superior as well as a variety of other activities. 

Wow, this was extremely helpful to me-thank you! I really appreciate the specific suggestions because I'm much more willing to go somewhere that someone recommends rather than just picking a place randomly from the Internet. I'm going to pm you with some specific questions!

Totally agree. Our family always stays at Blue Fin Bay. You can rent fully furnished town homes (1-3 bedrooms). Or actual lake side homes with 3+ bedrooms.

If it were me, I'd do two days in The Cites and the rest on the North Shore. I'd add a long haul up to Grand Portage to learn about the trampers, fur trade, and rendezvous. Then I'd eat lunch at the Naneboujou Lodge. Grand Marais is fun - walking out to the light house there.

Blue Fin Bay has free bike rentals. And it's centrally located to all the best sites on the North Shore.

We just did the northwoods/boundary waters. It was for me, the worst vacation I've ever had. I was about to be carried off by mosquitos, the not-cheap cabin was ugly and dark, no place to get coffee or anything, fishing seems about the most pointless activity known to man, I went into wireless zones to book a solo vacation to Morocco in order to make it through the week, and am thanking the ghost of Tolstoy for Anna Karenina which I finished in a few days there BUT.....

My people (kids, husband, in-laws) all had the best time. They can't wait to go back. I expect a postcard ;)

Edited by madteaparty

We just did the northwoods/boundary waters. It was for me, the worst vacation I've ever had. I was about to be carried off by mosquitos, the not-cheap cabin was ugly and dark, no place to get coffee or anything, fishing seems about the most pointless activity known to man, I went into wireless zones to book a solo vacation to Morocco in order to make it through the week, and am thanking the ghost of Tolstoy for Anna Karenina which I finished in a few days there BUT.....

My people (kids, husband, in-laws) all had the best time. They can't wait to go back. I expect a postcard ;)

Yikes! I adore the north woods and love camping in MN and in the Boundary Waters. To each her own, I guess... :thumbup1:

But on the subject of mosquitos up there. Yes, they are a powerful force. BUT we have learned that there is what we call "the hour of power" when the bugs come out to feast and life is miserable. When that happens, we go in the tent and wait them out. An hour later, everything has settled down. Yes, there are still bugs out there, but we found that simply going inside during the hour of power made life much more comfortable.

• Like 1

The boundary waters area are definitely more of a wilderness experience. Brainerd lakes area is just about 2 hours from the cities and has lots of lakes and resorts and cabins. But civilization too. If you want to lake swim and rent or bring a boat, that is good in Brainerd too. We've stayed at Craguns resort and Rutgers. You can rent cabins at many of the resorts. Bluefin bay and Ely/boundary waters is a closer to 4 hour drive from the cities also. These are all great locations, it just depends what you want to do.

You've gotten lots of great city suggestions. It's also fun to go to the Minneapolis chain of lakes and rent canoes. Maybe your kids are too little to enjoy that.

Duluth is about 2 1/2 hours from the cities and is our favorite mini get away. Cute little hipster town with historic sites, an aquarium, the is a water park horel among omany others, etc. if you are looking for more wildness outside the cities not a good choice though it is on the way to the North Shore area.

Edited by WoolySocks

The boundary waters area are definitely more of a wilderness experience. Brainerd lakes area is just about 2 hours from the cities and has lots of lakes and resorts and cabins. But civilization too. If you want to lake swim and rent or bring a boat, that is good in Brainerd too. We've stayed at Craguns resort and Rutgers. You can rent cabins at many of the resorts. Bluefin bay and Ely/boundary waters is a closer to 4 hour drive from the cities also. These are all great locations, it just depends what you want to do.

You've gotten lots of great city suggestions. It's also fun to go to the Minneapolis chain of lakes and rent canoes. Maybe your kids are too little to enjoy that.

Duluth is about 2 1/2 hours from the cities and is our favorite mini get away. Cute little hipster town with historic sites, an aquarium, the is a water park horel among omany others, etc. if you are looking for more wildness outside the cities not a good choice though it is on the way to the North Shore area.

Well,we do camp but I do NOT want this to be a wilderness experience and do not want to go as far as the Boundary Waters.  I want to stay in a relatively decent place/resort that fits 8 people (not a remote cabin in the wilderness) and I want my kids to be amazed at the natural beauty of the surroundings.

Big question- Am I wanting a Breinerd Lake experience or a North Shore experience? The Cities are about 4 hours for us, so I'd prefer to only travel about 2-3 hours beyond that north. But-If Duluth is not going to wow us, then I'm willing to drive a little north to really see the beauty of the state. Just not 4 hours if I can help it. This will be our only MN trip. so I want my kids to really see all it has to offer.

Edited by Meadowlark

Totally agree. Our family always stays at Blue Fin Bay. You can rent fully furnished town homes (1-3 bedrooms). Or actual lake side homes with 3+ bedrooms.

If it were me, I'd do two days in The Cites and the rest on the North Shore. I'd add a long haul up to Grand Portage to learn about the trampers, fur trade, and rendezvous. Then I'd eat lunch at the Naneboujou Lodge. Grand Marais is fun - walking out to the light house there.

Blue Fin Bay has free bike rentals. And it's centrally located to all the best sites on the North Shore.

Can you tell me more about Blue Fin Bay? It seems like a good central location but what can you do beyond the resort? What sorts of activities would be good for my crew and ages?