Menu

Deleted. Thanks, ladies!

AimeeM

My husband's CPAP machine thingy just goes over his nose.  His setup looks very much like this: http://www.thecpapshop.com/resmed-mirage-swift-ii-nasal-pillow-system?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping%20-%20All%20Products&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_o7NBRDgARIsAKvAgt0ETaf5pc4mTB6SpA1epBZil5CfNM_0SrBNjTw-oZIdhIS9JE-vHTMaAjlQEALw_wcB

ETA: I forgot to mention that it took a few weeks for my husband to get used to the machine but now he can't sleep without it.

Edited by EKS

My husband's CPAP machine thingy just goes over his nose.  His setup looks very much like this: http://www.thecpapshop.com/resmed-mirage-swift-ii-nasal-pillow-system?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping%20-%20All%20Products&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_o7NBRDgARIsAKvAgt0ETaf5pc4mTB6SpA1epBZil5CfNM_0SrBNjTw-oZIdhIS9JE-vHTMaAjlQEALw_wcB

ETA: I forgot to mention that it took a few weeks for my husband to get used to the machine but now he can't sleep without it.

I think that's similar to DH's... but it was still too much for him to handle. When they tried to put it on him at the sleep study, he couldn't handle it. Is it just a slow and steady kind of thing? Like, should he just try for what amount of time he can every night, slowly building up to all night?

• Like 1

I think that's similar to DH's... but it was still too much for him to handle. When they tried to put it on him at the sleep study, he couldn't handle it. Is it just a slow and steady kind of thing? Like, should he just try for what amount of time he can every night, slowly building up to all night?

If that works for him, that's what he should do.  Once he realizes that the thing isn't going to smother him, he'll probably relax.

I've also seen this, but I don't know anything about it.

ETA: I just checked his bag, and it's a full mask. My suspicion (based on what I've read) is that this is because he's a mouth-breather? When I tried googling, I ran across an article describing the different types of masks, and that the nose pieces aren't ideal for mouth breathers.

ETA 2: Never mind the above. They gave him both to try -- the full mask and the nose pillow.

Edited by AimeeM

I had to try out several different masks. The place I used got a little impatient with me, but I just needed to experiment with it until I found what was most comfortable. It took some time to get used to it, and it really bugged me at first. But my cousin who also uses one had told me to just push through it, and I did. It gradually got better, but it took about three months before it didn't bother me at all. I have used it every night since I had it, even if I had to take it off early at first. Now I don't think I could sleep without it. (Though I occasionally take a short nap without it.) I sleep so much better now; it's made a big difference for me. The full mask was uncomfortable for me, as was the nasal pillow. The wisp is what I use now. A couple of times when I got real congested, I used the full mask until I got well again. It's definitely an adjustment, but I think he will be glad if he pushes himself to make it.

• Like 1

I am mildly claustrophobic, but sleep was more important .

Having said that, I don't think I could wear a full mask, and am thankful I am not a mouth breather. I have read that some folks choose a nasal mask, but use a scarf or something tied around their head to keep their mouth closed.

Every therapist has their own favorite mask and everyone wonders why the last guy fitted you with that mask.

Far as I know, most masks can be returned or rather exchanged for a new one if you go back within 30 days. He really has to just push thru and keep trying. Sleep apnea left untreated can cause heart attacks.

I'm sorry,its difficult to,get started, but if he keeps using it, he will get used to and not be able to sleep with out it.