Menu

Swedish Culture or Family Tradition? (quick question)

Sahamamama2

My husband's work colleague posted an adorable video of his teenage daughter smashing her old clock with a sledge hammer, as she received a new clock for her birthday. There was no explanation with the video, so we were just wondering -- Is this a Swedish tradition, or possibly a family tradition? He is an engineer with the company. Maybe that has something to do with it? My husband is going to ask him later today, but I'm curious now! :)

The sledge hammer is bigger than she is! ;)

Never heard of this, but I'll jump in and share a fun Swedish tradition I witnessed when my parents lived in Stockholm: the Skansen zoo has a kitten enclosure, and by tradition parents bring their toddlers on pilgrimage there when it is time to bid farewell to the pacifier stage--the children "give their pacifiers to the kittens" and pacies are strung up like garlands in the vicinity of the enclosure.

• Like 20

Never heard of this, but I'll jump in and share a fun Swedish tradition I witnessed when my parents lived in Stockholm: the Skansen zoo has a kitten enclosure, and by tradition parents bring their toddlers on pilgrimage there when it is time to bid farewell to the pacifier stage--the children "give their pacifiers to the kittens" and pacies are strung up like garlands in the vicinity of the enclosure.

Cute!

I don't know about Sweden, but I've heard it is bad luck to give a clock as a gift.

In Chinese, gifting a clock rhymes with attending a funeral (procession). So it is considered as ill wishing to gift a clock. A watch is okay as the Chinese name for watch is very different from clock.

• Like 1