Menu

Pop Quiz: What would be appropriate attire for a nursing mother speaking at a seminar

I'm going shopping this afternoon. This seminar is not child or homeschooling related. I need to be able to nurse before or after I'm done speaking (pray the baby will behave).

It is Hawaii, so casual is the rule of thumb, but I want to be taken seriously- my bio says I have seven kids.

Edit: I'm in a rush out the door. Please don't spin off in "what does having seven kids have to do with it" direction. Trust me when I tell you these women and some men don't relate to the big family concept. I can't explain further right now. Thanks for helping.

Jo

Edited by battlemaiden

I'm going shopping this afternoon. This seminar is not child or homeschooling related. I need to be able to nurse before or after I'm done speaking (pray the baby will behave).

It is Hawaii, so casual is the rule of thumb

Had a similar situation once, where I was going to be interviewed on tv with months old infant nearby. I found a very lightweight blue denim collared shirt over black slim (ha!) jeans. The top was loose enough to tuck ds under if needed, but still looked professional.

The other option might be a sleeveless top under a lightweight shirt/jacket that would be discreet. Hope you find something that you're really comfortable with.

I'd do a blouse, jacket (optional) & dress slacks or a long straight skirt.

Bottoms & jacket can be medium to dark colors.

Closed toe, low to mid heel shoes.

For the blouse I'd go with something light colored & preferably with a small print. Generally, light colors & a bit of pattern will hide it better if you leak or perspire from stress.

For all items, I'd pick things which you can easily scrunch in your hand, let go & smooth out, and they look good. That generally means a bit of artificial fibre if it's woven fabric, or a knit fabric. You don't want to look wrinkled & crumpled after you stand up from nursing your baby.

I used to do public presentations while still nursing my kids, and my biggest tip is to have another blouse or a big silk scarf which matches your outfit in your bag/car/hotel room - somewhere handy.

The one time it really matters is when your 'never spits up' baby heaves all over you :D A spare top can really save you. A silk scarf can also be used to strategically drape over stains etc.

I agree with the PP about Motherwear. Espressiva too. These tops allow you to nurse discreetly and look put together and fashionable all at once. Have fun.

And you can feel a bit better knowing I have nothing but admiration for large families :)

It is Hawaii, so casual is the rule of thumb, but I want to be taken seriously- my bio says I have seven kids.

Edit: I'm in a rush out the door. Please don't spin off in "what does having seven kids have to do with it" direction. Trust me when I tell you these women and some men don't relate to the big family concept. I can't explain further right now. Thanks for helping.

Jo

I guess one question is do you have to be able to nurse in public or will you be in a car or another room? In other words, how put together do you need to look while nursing?

I had some great nursing outfits from Motherwear.

You could also go with a pretty aloha shirt over a coordinated tank or sleeveless shirt that you could easily lift. Or a nursing tank with a print shirt over that. Pair it up with khaki pants and some hip sandals. This tank top is in the clearance section of the Motherwear site. It looks like it would fit in well with aloha wear.

You might also be able to find a cute top at Ross that has a loose crossover style that you could pull aside to nurse.

I miss Hawaii. I've had to go and buy long pants, socks and gasp, shoes. I spent the first week freezing.

I'd do a blouse, jacket (optional) & dress slacks or a long straight skirt.

Bottoms & jacket can be medium to dark colors.

Closed toe, low to mid heel shoes.

For the blouse I'd go with something light colored & preferably with a small print. Generally, light colors & a bit of pattern will hide it better if you leak or perspire from stress.

For all items, I'd pick things which you can easily scrunch in your hand, let go & smooth out, and they look good. That generally means a bit of artificial fibre if it's woven fabric, or a knit fabric. You don't want to look wrinkled & crumpled after you stand up from nursing your baby.

I used to do public presentations while still nursing my kids, and my biggest tip is to have another blouse or a big silk scarf which matches your outfit in your bag/car/hotel room - somewhere handy.

The one time it really matters is when your 'never spits up' baby heaves all over you :D A spare top can really save you. A silk scarf can also be used to strategically drape over stains etc.

Brilliant! Timely advice since I just came home from a couple of appointments with a huge yellowish stain on my lap. And this is the baby that "never poops out of his diaper." :D

And the advice about the small print was particularly helpful. I reflexively buy solid colors. Now I will keep my eyes open for prints.

Thanks.