Menu

HS Korean

Mango Languages offers Korean and it is available online through some libraries for free. We will be studying Korean this year using Talk to Me in Korean books. http://talktomeinkorean.com

They also have a YouTube channel, so you can get to know them and the way they teach. 

We have the first set of these books, but I have no idea what the pacing should be.

We have the first set of these books, but I have no idea what the pacing should be.

I haven't scheduled it out yet either, but I do know we will be starting with Hangeul Master to learn the Korean alphabet so we won't have to rely on romanization. I have several resources for learning Korean and need to sit down and start planning what we will be doing each day.

Using Mango free from the library.

Korean from Zero book and also Learning Korean with a Smile (a book about Hangeul)

And then we are also watching Korean dramas and variety shows because watching people actually speak the language is a great way to pick up pronunciation and vocabulary. 

And we also refer to the Talk to Me in Korean videos. 

We just started and are working on basic vocabulary & the alphabet although I've been learning through osmosis for several years now.

Recopying an old post from years ago ~

My daughter took Korean at college. The text her class used first semester was: Integrated Korean: Beginning 1, 2nd Edition. There is also a workbook: Integrated Korean Workbook: Beginning 1, 2nd Edition (Klear Textbooks in Korean Language).

My daughter dabbled with the Korean Pimsleur program before taking a formal Korean class.

My husband began teaching himself Korean.  He used:  Teach Yourself Korean: A Complete Course.  I believe there is  a newer edition.  He did get to the point where he really needed someone who could answer his questions.  He's currently taking a class. 

You might check if there are any Korean churches in your area.  We've learned of one nearby that offers free Korean classes on Saturdays.

Also, something to keep in mind for down the road ~

National Security Language Initiative for Youth (NSLI-Y)

Regards,

Kareni

Two of my children took high school Korean through the Fairfax County (Virginia) Virtual Campus.  It is expensive for out-of-staters.  IIRC, the classes meet once per week and three years of Korean are offered.  The lower level was packed with heritage speakers who already could speak Korean.  We had to find a local proctor for written exams in December and June.