Menu

wireless speaker for home

Word Nerd

I'd like to get a wireless/Bluetooth speaker for the kitchen so I can listen to podcasts, audiobooks, and music. What are the Hive's recommendations? I don't want to spend a lot (like for a Bose), as I'm not sure how often I will actually use it. I don't want one that's so cheap the sound quality is poor, though, as then I definitely wouldn't use it.

We have a UE Boom 2 and it's wonderful. They make smaller and less expensive speakers and I'm sure I could have gone down a level or two without noticing a huge difference in quality.  Things i love: It's not heavy but it doesn't feel cheap. The battery holds a charge for a long time.  It syncs easily with our phones. (Dd has a cheap speaker and it seems to be glitchy with syncing)  It's small enough that it doesn't stand out on the kitchen counter or in our bathroom. 

So...I'm probably not helping with a particular recommendation but I did want to encourage you that it's a nice way to listen to podcasts or music. Great for bringing music outside when you have friends over, too. 

• Like 1

We have a UE Boom 2 and it's wonderful. They make smaller and less expensive speakers and I'm sure I could have gone down a level or two without noticing a huge difference in quality. Things i love: It's not heavy but it doesn't feel cheap. The battery holds a charge for a long time. It syncs easily with our phones. (Dd has a cheap speaker and it seems to be glitchy with syncing) It's small enough that it doesn't stand out on the kitchen counter or in our bathroom.

So...I'm probably not helping with a particular recommendation but I did want to encourage you that it's a nice way to listen to podcasts or music. Great for bringing music outside when you have friends over, too.

This is what I have, and I love it! I use it all the time.

• Like 1

The Bose Soundlink - https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/speakers/wireless_speakers/soundlink-color-bluetooth-speaker-ii.html

I have the original. Dh bought it for me for Christmas a few years agor - picked it out, dreamed it up. Much like the year he convinced me I needed an iPad he was totally right. I use my Soundlink all the time and would buy it over and over again. Except I don't need to because it works just as well now as it did when I got it.

ETA: They still sell the original one on Amazon.

Edited by mamaraby
  • Like 1

I have a Bose Soundlink as well. That thing goes to the ER with me most days I work. It has also traveled to dance conventions, the steamed up bathroom, and the RV. I cannot remember when I bought it, but, it still works perfectly. I love the sound! However, I have no idea what else is out there. Do the Bose ever go on sale?